Brochella | Teen Ink

Brochella

May 13, 2015
By Steve Naldzhyan BRONZE, La Canada, California
Steve Naldzhyan BRONZE, La Canada, California
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

One of the most fun weekends I have ever had in my life was the weekend of April 11th and 12th. This was the first weekend of the Coachella Valley Music Festival. I only went to Coachella for the 2nd and 3rd day. I couldn't go to the first day because I did not want to miss school because it was on a Friday and I had to be at school. I did not plan on going to Coachella until the morning of Saturday. I woke up in the morning and looked at social media and saw all my friends posts on snapchat, Twitter and Instagram and thought man I'd really want to be there. My mother works with the event manager of Coachella so Saturday morning I asked my mom, "Mom, is there any way you can get me tickets to Coachella." And she told me she definitely could. So she asked her client if she had any tickets left over and just my luck she had exactly 2 tickets left over. So my mom broke the news and said, "she has 2 tickets, do you want to get your friend Chris and go to Coachella right now?" And of course I wanted to so I called Chris and told him and he said he was completely down to go. So I went right away to pick up Chris and we were on our way to Indio, California. Our friends Danny Badie and Andrew Der Ohannesian were there with Andrew's older brother camping since Wednesday morning, so we were going to be meeting up with them. In the 2 days at Coachella I watched 7 stage performances. I watched Deorro, Flosstradamus (also called Floss), Axwell, Kaskade, Stromae, David Guetta and Drake with a guest performance of Madonna. I knew that Deorro, Floss, Axwell and David Guetta are great Dj's and they make really good EDM music. I didn't know much about Stromae but I knew he was a French man who sang in French. Drake is one of my favorite rappers of all time so I was really looking forward to that. One of the biggest surprises done was Drake bringing out Madonna on stage with him. It was a real shock because almost all of the people at Coachella are within the ages of 16-25 and Madonna is way before our time so it was a really big surprise. The Dj's remixed a whole bunch of songs that I love. I wasn't quite sure what Stromae's music was. And for Drake's performance, I knew every song he sang and sang along to every song. He sang his most famous song "Know Yourself" and it got everyone going and singing and it was very memorable. Drakes whole performance made me very happy and enjoyable.


Coachella does not compare to any other music festival. It is not your typical music festival. It is a blend of both an EDM rave and just any average concert. There is electric music, rap, pop, and even rock and roll. It is made for every one of every different type of interest. I knew Coachella is one of the most fun music events in the world, so with my music interest this would be one of the most fun weekends of my life. This lived right up to my expectations.


One of the best moments of the weekend was in Floss’s stage set. Floss is famous for his insane mosh pits (a mosh pit is when their is just a big area of just open place and everybody just runs in the middle and hit each other really hard), so while Chris, Danny, Andrew and me were dancing having a good time; a big mosh pit began building by us. So my friends, being how they always are, decide to run into the mosh pit. Right as they ran into the mosh pit,; Andrew and Chris, being two small guy, get hit and laid out on to their butts. This got me mad so then I ran into the mosh pit. (I think you get a hint what happened when I ran in) Me being 6’5 and 320 pounds ran in and hit everyone I saw and in about 20 seconds I laid out about 12 guys on their butts. I really think Floss’s performance was the best performance I saw because he really got everyone pumped up and into it. He really got me hyped up and going.


As much as I love Drake, the biggest criticism I have of the event went to him when he brought out 60 year old Madonna. Like I said earlier, Madonna was way before much of the people at Coachella’s time. Although she is beautiful and looked great that night, I still don’t know what Drake was thinking.


This event was for sure not to be missed. I think anybody who appreciated music and enjoys music should go to Coachella at least once in their lives. It is made for everyone because of the diversity in the music. If you love EDM there is a whole lot of EDM. If you like rap there was rap. If you love pop and alternative they have that. Even their was rock and roll with who I think is the greatest band of all time in AC/DC. Just watching videos on either social media or on youtube will make you want to go to Coachella.