Ireland's Independece: Past and Present | Teen Ink

Ireland's Independece: Past and Present

April 9, 2015
By Brooke Graham BRONZE, Puyallup, Washington
Brooke Graham BRONZE, Puyallup, Washington
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

 Historical Ireland was able to rise out of the turmoil of wars, famines, and disagreements to become an independent country. Although modern Ireland seems to be prospering, it has had some rocky years financially and is currently battling a conflict with the Ireland Republican Army. The Gaelic and English-speaking country is divided into two parts. Northern Ireland, which consists of six counties, is part of the United Kingdom. The Republic of Ireland has twenty six counties. Ireland’s mixture of rolling hills, long meadows and pastures span 32,500 square miles. Along with the grassy fields, Ireland has many lakes, rivers, and cliffs making it a beautiful place to explore. Known as the Emerald Isle, Ireland is mostly green because of the average of forty inches of rain per year. Its capital, Dublin, is extremely advanced in technology and multiple large corporations are stationed there. Although the people of Ireland have compromised, the country’s early beginnings had much turmoil and struggle. Despite overcoming a traumatic history and becoming a modern, civilized and relaxed nation, Ireland is held back because of its inability to come to a decision of whether or not the country should be completely independent, complicated by the terrorist activities of the Ireland Republican Army.


Ireland has had a very difficult history full of wars and famines. In Ireland’s early years, the Celts battled the Vikings, battled the Great Famine, and battled for their independence. Wars, invasions, and deaths occurred. During these growing years in Ireland, similar events were happening in other areas of the world. After the Vikings raided Ireland in 795 AD, they headed over to raid Scotland. In the 1500s, England made a move to completely take over Ireland. Around this time, Catholicism was becoming popular in Europe. Also, a small pox epidemic was raging through South America. Henry VIII broke from Catholicism one year and beheaded his wife the next.  In 1845, when Ireland was struggling to survive through the Great Famine, many other countries and states were struggling as well, although not because of a lack of food. New York, Quebec, Pennsylvania, and China dealt with massive, destructive and devastating fires. Each of these fires destroyed or killed more than one thousand people and buildings. Also during Ireland’s famine, the Mexican-United States war began and the first US election-day was observed. Coincidentally, Ireland and Israel became independent the same year. Ireland’s war filled history ended when Ireland separated from British rule.


The earliest years of Ireland were filled with raids, wars and fighting. Although the first people group arrived in Ireland around 5000 BC, the first group to make an impact were the Celts (Cronin 23). Arriving in 600 BC, the Celts survived by farming the fertile Irish soil (Blashfield 37). Around 432 BC, Saint Patrick came to Ireland (Blashfield 38). Born in Scotland, St. Patrick was captured and brought to Ireland as a slave when he was sixteen years old (Blashfield 38). After escaping back to Scotland, Patrick became a Priest and decided to return to Ireland to share his religion (Cronin 48). Although the Irish had already been introduced to Christianity, St. Patrick explained it in a way that the Celts could understand. This brought a nation-wide Christian revival (Cronin 49). Although Ireland thrived for a while, the Emerald Isle caught the North European Vikings’ attention near the end of the 8th century (Sasek 7). Not long after, these thieves headed across the Irish Sea. In 795 AD, the Vikings preceded to randomly invade Ireland, taking valuables and personal belongings. (Blashfield 40). However, some Vikings decided they wanted to stay in Ireland (Cronin 65). As a result, the Vikings established what are now Ireland’s most popular cities including Limerick, Waterford, Cork, and Dublin (Donaldson 16). They used these cities as trading posts (Cronin 65). The Vikings made themselves at home in Ireland and Viking/Irish marriages were not uncommon (Cronin 66). In 903 AD, the tables turned as the Irish resolved to fight for their homeland (Cronin 67). Wars broke out. Unfortunately, the Vikings were too strong and so because of the division of Ireland which was due to too many separately-ruled kingdoms, the Vikings were able to conquer the Emerald Isle (Cronin 68). Years later in 950 AD, the Irish were able to kick the Vikings out and regain control of their country (Cronin 68). However, this peace did not last long (Sasek 7). In 1155 AD, King Henry II of England and the English-Normans invaded Ireland because the King decided that more Roman control was necessary (Blashfield 42). The Irish hated this because the Normans took over and eliminated the Irish’s religious freedom (Donaldson 17). England was predominately Protestant while Ireland remained Catholic. When the Normans created an Irish Parliament in 1297, they outlawed Catholics’ right to have a seat in their own Parliament (Blashfield 43). The Irish were absolutely outraged. Therefore, Ireland’s early years of intrusions and wars were followed by many years of conflict between Ireland and England.


The famine that struck in 1845 changed Ireland significantly (Cronin 258). Previously, several small famines had hit Ireland, but the Indiana-sized country had always been able to bounce back (Dolan 13). This time however, the famine almost completely destroyed the Emerald Isle. Farmers were beginning another day when they found black mushy spots on their potato plants (Blashfield 49). Within a week, this potato blight was found on plants across the country. Because the potato is the main crop in rural Ireland, the blight caused a grueling five year period of famine. The blight in 1846 made replanting for the following year next to impossible (Cronin 258). As a result, the famine struck the hardest in 1847.  Because England had control over Ireland during this time, Irish farmers were forced to give the bounty of their crop to their English landlords (Blashfield 49). When the famine swept through the country, numerous farmers, unable to farm or buy highly-priced food, were evicted from their land and forced to desperately search for food and shelter (Cronin 263). Therefore, the poorest areas—Galway, Mayo, Sligo, Roscommon, Cork, Kerry, and Limerick—endured the greatest amount of suffering (Dolan 19).  Contrary to popular belief, the one million deaths that resulted from the famine were mostly caused by diseases and poverty-not the actual blight (Cronin 258). People suffered from awful sicknesses and diseases including typhus, cholera, dysentery and scurvy (Dolan 21). Those who were not dying that were trying to survive left Ireland all together. As a result, ship industries benefited as more than one million people suddenly wanted out of the country as soon as possible (Dolan 32). This is how a large Irish population came to be in the US (Allan 28). During the famine, more than 1.5 million people died and over one million people left the Emerald Isle (Cronin 258). In 1841, Ireland’s population was 8,175,124 (“Ireland Population”). Forty years after the famine, the population had dropped to 5,174,836 people (“Ireland Population”). The English government’s plan to help the country was to provide work houses, soup kitchens, and shelter houses (Cronin 259). However, not enough of these were built, as people flocked to the largest cities from all over Ireland to seek refuge. The Irish began to blame England for “mismanaging” their country (Cronin 263). The British, in return, blamed the Irish for having too many people on not enough land (Cronin 263). Large debates broke out as to whose fault the famine was. In fact, people are still arguing the cause today (Cronin 263). Largely, the famine is thought to be caused because of Ireland’s rapid population increase, because of too large families on little pieces of land, and because of Ireland’s continued dependence on agriculture as their main industry (Cronin 264). After the famine, the British were absolutely hated in Ireland, and tension grew between the two countries as Ireland yearned for independence (Allan 28).


In the 1500s, Britain began its attack for complete control of Ireland. Henry VIII, who was the head of the English church, wanted to force Protestantism on the Irish, but they were defiant (Blashfield 44). England was so adamant about Ireland leaving Catholicism that the Irish started an angry rebellion in 1641 (45). However, because of lack of soldiers and weapons, the Irish were too weak and the rebellion failed (45). When Commander Oliver Cromwell, a well-respected English leader, invaded Ireland in 1649, thousands of people died (Cronin 203). This made the Irish angrier than before (Blashfield 45). Wars continued, but the Irish fought to no avail and England gained more and more land (Cronin 205). In control, England took away several of the Irish’s Catholic rights—including the right to vote—by passing Penal Laws (Blashfield 46). Penal Laws were laws that put restrictions on Catholics in an attempt to force them to give up Catholicism (46). However, this plan did not work, because Catholics just worshipped in secret instead (46). Wars between Ireland and England continued. To everyone’s surprise, the Protestant Ascendancy of Ireland began helping the Catholics fight England so that economic and social health would improve (47).  In 1798, Protestant Wolfe Tone encouraged France to help fight for Ireland (Cronin 223). Although Tone was eventually able to convince French troops to help, the English defeated the French with no trouble at all (Blashfield 47). England continued tightening its grip on Ireland as wars were fought around the country (47). In 1801, the Act of Union was established which made Ireland completely apart of the UK (Cronin 227). While some Ireland natives were fine with the new law, many yearned for independence. Politician Daniel O’Connell became known for advancing Irish political rights and in 1828, the Irish were allowed back into Parliament (Blashfield 48). After the great famine, the Irish Republican Brotherhood was founded in 1858 (50). The members of this group wanted Ireland to be independent more than anything, and planned a rebellion (50). Finally, the English took the hint and realized things needed to change. In 1870, the Irish Land Act was enacted—ensuring that people could not be evicted from their land (Cronin 275). The proposed “Home Rule”, which made Ireland self-governed while still being a part of the United Kingdom, gained popularity (Blashfield 51). After failing to pass the law several times, Ireland’s parliament finally ratified the Home Rule in 1912 (Cronin 293). However, WWI eliminated concern and the law was never put into effect (Blashfield 52). Tired, angry, and determined, the Irish Republican Brotherhood declared independence in 1916. However, this uprising, known as the Easter Rising, failed (Cronin 318). At last, in 1918, a massive number of Irishmen were elected and Ireland was at the helm of its Parliament (Blashfield 53). Gaining control once again, the Irish Republican Army, headed by Michael Collins, fought the Anglo-Irish War against England (53). The Anglo-Irish Treaty of 1921 divided Ireland and created two separate governments (54). Northern Ireland, which was mainly Protestant, remained as a part of the UK, while the rest of Ireland, which was predominately Catholic, became known as the Irish Free State. The Irish were getting closer to complete independence, but all of Ireland was still under oath to England (54). Unfortunately, a civil war broke out and continued until 1923. This was because while most Irish were ready for independence, others were completely opposed to the idea (Cronin 324)! Finally, in 1948, Ireland settle on a decision to become a republic and after eight hundred years was separate from British rule (Blashfield 56).


The outcome of Ireland’s difficult years is that Ireland is now divided with the bottom, larger half a Republic and the top six counties, Northern Ireland—a part of the UK. The earliest years of Ireland proved tough as the Celts struggled to maintain their ground from the Vikings and Normans. In 1845, the Great Famine proved to change the country and have a deep effect on Irish lives. After many years of wars and fighting, Ireland finally separated from England in 1948.  The most significant thing about Ireland’s history is the Great Famine of 1845. Ireland had previously suffered through many famines, but none proved as arduous as that one. It changed Ireland forever. Because England and Ireland were blaming each other for the cause of the famine, tension increased between the two countries. After the famine, Ireland realized that they could not completely rely on farming to survive. Therefore, they began to update themselves on the technological advances of the rest of the world.  Unbelievably, more than 2.5 million people died or left Ireland during the famine. This brought Ireland’s population down from over eight million to just over five million. In fact, Ireland’s population has still not recovered. Because of the massive number of people wanting to get out of Ireland as soon and as fast as they could, the shipping industry changed. To everyone’s disbelief, boats were now needed during winter and were constantly going to and from Ireland. Without a doubt, the Great Famine of 1845 was the most significant thing in Ireland’s onerous history because it changed Ireland forever.


Modern Ireland is an intriguing place to visit and explore. Because of Ireland’s history of invasions, many tourists spend their time on the Emerald Isle exploring castle ruins. One castle, named Roche Castle, was instrumental in an English invasion in the 1600s. Located in County Louth, its tall ruins are a popular stop for tourists. The famous Blarney Castle in County Cork, is surrounded by beautiful flower gardens, fern gardens and a peaceful lake. The most popular attraction in the park is the blarney stone at the top of the castle. Legend has it that if you kiss this stone, you will inherit the “gift of gab”, or the ability to never again be at a loss for words. Out of everyone currently living in Ireland, about forty percent live in the country and out of that, about eight percent farm for a living. These natives’ houses are more historic, with thatched straw roofs. In the Irish culture, it is very important to keep traditions alive, although several modern conflicts regarding the economy and terrorist activity has made their way into Irishmen’s daily conversation.


If you were to walk around Ireland today, there would be quite a few things that you would notice to be different in this culture. Greeting each other with a hand shake or kiss on the cheek, Irish are very friendly, and always keep eye contact as a sign of respect (“Living”). The Irish culture is also very relaxed. If someone says they will be somewhere at a certain time, they will more than likely arrive ten to fifteen minutes late (“Living”). The Irish are known for overdrinking. This is mainly because pubs are very much a part of the Irish culture, as many people relax there with friends (“Living”). Why do Irishmen drink so much? It goes back to the Great Famine. Before Ireland got back on its feet, many poor people yearned to dull the pain and hunger by drinking (O’Connor). After the famine, drinking was a way to rub their success in rich people’s faces (O’Connor). Over the years, drinking became custom. An Irishman’s food diet is the result of Ireland’s early farming years. Potatoes, bacon, cabbage, stew, Irish soda bread, lamb, and beef are eaten regularly (Donalds 36). Ireland is also very famous for its cheeses (Donaldson 37). A common Irish breakfast, “Fry”, which is similar to an omelet, includes sausage, bacon, mushrooms, pudding, bread, and eggs (“Living”). In addition to food, the Irish culture is into fairy tales, legends, story-telling, and music (Donaldson 38). Irish folk music is played using a variety of unique instruments like bagpipes, Irish flutes, fiddles, and bodhrans, which are drums played sideways like a tambourine (Donaldson 41). Traditional Gaelic music, dating back to the time of the Celts, is played in bars, at weddings, on the streets, and at shows around town almost every night (Blashfield 104). Irish folk dancing is a very popular way to keep Irish culture alive and kids are taught how to dance from an early age in school (Donaldson 42). Children go to school September through June and have many options as to where to attend (“Living”). Available since the 1830s, government-run schools are free to students. Other schools are multi-denominational and Prepatory, which are private schools (Blashfield 121). Around the age of sixteen, students must take a leaving exam before they can graduate (121). After that, young people may attend college. Although college—also known as University—is free in Ireland, the service fee required is almost as much as United States’ average tuition (122). Popular colleges include Trinity College, which Catholics were not allowed to attend until 1972. Also, University College has a chain of colleges located in Dublin, Galway and Cork (123). Another large part of Irish culture is sports. Gaelic football, one of Ireland’s most popular sports, did not become popular until the 18th century (109). In Gaelic football, you can kick, touch and carry the ball, but you must not throw it (Donaldson 35). Other sports include hurling, camogie, rugby, soccer, golf, and horse-back riding (34). In 1990, Ireland first took part in the World Cup for soccer and has been very involved ever since (“Living”). In Ireland’s friendly culture, life is relaxed, social, and entertaining.


Ireland’s government has led its country through many economic ups and downs. Ireland’s legislature consists of two houses—Dail Eireann and Seanad Eireann. Dail is the more powerful of the two, consisting of 150-160 members (Blashfield 63). With sixty members, Seanad has very little power (63). In fact, many people believe that Seanad should be abolished because Dail overrides every decision Seanad makes (64). Following the Anglo-Irish Treaty, Ireland’s constitution was enacted in 1937 (63). Anyone in Ireland eighteen or older may vote (63). The head of state is the President, who holds office for seven year terms (65). Ireland’s current president is Michael Higgins. The head of government, who has the most power, is the prime minister or Taoiseach (68). He or she appoints government members (68). The current Taoiseach is Enda Kenny. After the Republic of Ireland became independent, Ireland struggled through an economic crisis (57). In the 1970s, Ireland joined the European Economic Community—also known as the European Union (57). As a result, the government received lots of money and was able to build many roads, new buildings and tourist sites (58). Ireland prospered. In the 1990s, many large companies like Microsoft, Dell, Intel, Johnson & Johnson, Facebook Inc., Google Inc., Yahoo Inc., and Pfizer stationed headquarters in Dublin (59). This opened up a massive amount of well-paying jobs. This period was known as the Celtic Tiger and lasted until 2008 (59). Because of the sudden increase in wealth, many people bought houses—which is rare in Ireland, as most people rent (60). House prices sky-rocketed, and the government loaned out more money than it had. Unfortunately, Ireland was forced to borrow money from the EU because it had so little money to give out as loans (61). Houses being built were no longer fully funded and could not be finished. As a result, a large number of ghost lots were left around Ireland (61). The unemployment rate sky-rocketed to thirty percent and over 300,000 people left the country, which is similar to the large number of people that left Ireland because of the famine sixty years earlier (Waldie). Those fresh out of college, excited about their careers ahead, found it nearly impossible to become employed (Waldie). As a result of Ireland’s economic downfall, Ireland made its first property tax (Waldie). Thankfully, for the first time since 2008, Ireland’s economy is getting back on its feet (Waldie). Unemployment has dropped to 12.5% and Ireland has climbed out of its $100.2 billion bailout (Waldie). Although some Irishmen doubt recovery is within reach, others are optimistic—clinging on to the recent improvement (Waldie). Ireland’s government, although young and still working out the kinks, has helped its country through the ups and downs.


Although Ireland is strong for its new, small and inexperienced beginnings, there is still a massive problem alive in the country today. The ultimate goal of the Irish Republican Army (IRA) is to terminate British rule and unite Ireland. Because of the tactics used against the British, some people consider members of the IRA terrorists (Zalman). Sinn Fein (“We Ourselves”), the predominately Catholic political party supporting IRA, claim to want unity, peace, an economically sustained country, and equality (“Sinn Fein”). The IRA was founded at the beginning of the Irish War of Independence in 1919 (Zalman). This ended in the Anglo-Irish Treaty which divided Ireland into the more protestant Northern Ireland and the more Catholic Irish Free State. However, some of the Provisional IRA (PIRA) opposed the Anglo-Irish treaty because they wanted complete independence (Zalman). This led to terroristic actions. Bombings, assassinations, and riots were just some of the things that the PIRA did to try and develop a unified country (“Conflict”). Wanting to end the rioting, England called a meeting in 1994 (Zalman). A few years after Sinn Fein and England talked, the PIRA agreed to the Good Friday Agreement (Zalman). This agreement ended violence, but only for a time. Terrorists yearning for complete independence are still wreaking havoc today. The Real IRA group did not agree with the Good Friday agreement, and in 2006 terrorist acts began again (Zalman). On July 21st, 1972, in the heart of Belfast, an organization comprised of IRA members, carried out what is now known as Bloody Friday (“Bloody Friday”). Amidst the screaming, moaning and crying, nine people were found dead and over one hundred thirty injured due to over twenty bombs (“Bloody Friday”). Eyewitnesses say bodies were blown to pieces (“Bloody Friday”). Many IRA protesters were so thoroughly embarrassed that they spoke nothing of their organization’s life changing harm (“Bloody Friday”). In 1998, the Real IRA set off a bomb in Omagh, Northern Ireland, that killed twenty people and injured about two hundred (McDonald).  In December 2013, Belfast, Northern Ireland voted to fly the British flag only seventeen days a year instead of year-round (Walsh). This outraged the unionists (Walsh). Currently, the Democratic Unionist Party and Sinn Fein govern Northern Ireland. The IRA are continuing their struggle for complete independence.


Although modern Ireland has a laid back culture, it has had many struggles regarding its economy and political parties wanting freedom. The most significant thing about modern Ireland is the fighting because of the Ireland Republican Army. Wars, arguments and riots have gone on for almost one hundred years. In fact, it will continue to be an issue unless everyone in Ireland can come to an agreement of whether all of Ireland should be independent or not. Some Republic of Ireland residents, including the IRA, fight for the ability to be a united, wholly independent country free from British rule. On the other hand, many Irish living in Northern Ireland are content with the way things are right now. This problem will not be solved until everyone in Ireland can agree. Therefore, this is an important problem that needs to be addressed. Riots are breaking out frequently and many people have been killed or injured. Unfortunately, Ireland’s government cannot do anything to sustain these terrorist-like actions. Police are constantly aware and trying to deal with them, but there is not much that they can do. If an IRA representative wants to kill people, he will find a way to do it. Without a doubt, the most important topic regarding modern Ireland is the fighting resulting from desired freedom from the United Kingdom.


In historical Ireland, many people left the country due to invasions, famine, and disagreements regarding Ireland’s independence. In modern Ireland, the relaxed society has had to deal with the Ireland Republican Army’s terroristic-like attacks. The most significant thing about Ireland is that although historically and in modern times the country has always been able to pull together in tough circumstances, they are currently struggling. Ireland may be relaxed and carefree, but underneath that, the IRA is still at work bombing cars and buildings trying to attain union. When it comes down to it, Ireland’s future depends on how the IRA is dealt with and what the IRA does. If the IRA keeps at it, the country might face extreme turmoil as death rates skyrocket. However, a whole entire country agreeing on one decision is nearly impossible. Therefore no matter what law is voted on, there will always be someone unhappy about the result. This is just another one of those current issues. Ireland is still struggling this disagreement. Hundreds have been injured or killed because of the Ireland Republican Army. Of course, not every country is perfect and there will always be a problem or a people group to deal with. There are other parts of the world dealing with terrorism and economic issues as well. Although Ireland is calm, carefree and friendly, the current disagreement of their independence will ultimately affect Ireland’s future.

 

Works Cited
Allan, Tony. The Irish Famine: The Birth of Irish America. Chicago: Heinemann Library,  2006. Print.
Black, Rebecca. "Sinn Fein Protests Dismissed." BelfastTelegraph.co.uk. Belfast Telegraph, 4   Mar. 2015. Web. 04 Mar. 2015.
Blashfield, Jean F. Ireland: Enchantment of the World. N.p.: Scholastic, n.d. Print. Second Ser.
"Bloody Friday: What Happened." BBC News. BBC, 16 July 2002. Web. 18 Mar. 2015.
"Conflict in Northern Ireland." BBC News. BBC, 29 June 2006. Web. 06 Apr. 2015.
Cowell-Meyers, Kimberly. "Irish Republican Army (IRA)." Encyclopedia Britannica Online.   Encyclopedia Britannica, 13 Feb. 2014. Web. 03 Mar. 2015.
Cronin, Mike. Irish History for Dummies. Chichester: Wiley, 2006. Print.
Dolan, Edward F. The Irish Potato Famine: The Story of Irish-American Immigration. New   York: Benchmark, 2003. Print.
Donaldson, Madeline. Ireland. Minneapolis: Lerner Publications, 2011. Print.
"8th Century, 701 to 800." World History Timeline: 8th Century (701 to 800). FSmitha, n.d.   Web. 25 Feb. 2015.
"Historical Events for Year 1845 - HistoryOrb.com." HistoryOrb.com. History Orb, n.d. Web. 26   Feb. 2015.
"Ireland Timeline." Around the World. Time for Kids, n.d. Web. 31 Jan. 2015.
"Ireland's Population in the mid 1800's." Ireland's Population in the mid 1800's. Reproduction   Antique Maps Modern Prints, n.d. Web. 26 Feb. 2015.
"Living in Ireland | Culture & Society." Living in Ireland. N.p., n.d. Web. 06 Feb. 2015.
McDonald, Henry. "Man Charged with Murder in Omagh Bombing." The Guardian. The    Guardian, 10 Apr. 2014. Web. 18 Mar. 2015.
O'Connor, Garrett, Dr. "Breaking the Code of Silence: The Irish and Drink." Irish America. Irish   America, Feb. 2012. Web. 17 Mar. 2015.
Sasek, Miroslav. This Is Ireland. New York: Universe, 2005. Print.
"Sinn Féin." Sinn Féin. Irish Republican News, n.d. Web. 20 Feb. 2015.
Waldie, Paul. "Why Ireland's Recovery May Not Be Sustainable." The Globe and Mail. N.p., 19   Jan. 2014. Web. 02 Feb. 2015.
Walsh, Jason. "A New, Different Kind of 'troubles' in Northern Ireland." The Christian Science   Monitor. The Christian Science Monitor, 5 Feb. 2013. Web. 20 Feb. 2015.
"The Year 1948 From The People History." What Happened in 1948 Inc. Pop Culture, Prices and   Events. The People History, n.d. Web. 26 Feb. 2015.
Zalman, Ph.D. Amy. "Guide to the Irish Republican Army." About.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 20 Feb.   2015.