If Cell Phones and Computers Were Outlawed, What Do You Believe Would Happen? | Teen Ink

If Cell Phones and Computers Were Outlawed, What Do You Believe Would Happen?

April 6, 2015
By bethalexa1997 BRONZE, Palm Bay, Florida
bethalexa1997 BRONZE, Palm Bay, Florida
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Our generation as we know it, is fairly consumed in the advanced technology we have access to today. We use it in many of our daily activities, from connecting with people around the world, to shopping for the latest video games. What if we no longer had the ability to use these beloved devices? If cell phones and computers were outlawed, society would change significantly.


For many people, the outlaw of cell phones and computers would come with many dramatically, life changing advantages. To the few people who have lived before the blossoming of this technology, and people who have not yet become obsessed, may feel as if our society is going back to the “old days.” Many would go back to the time writing genuine letters to friends and family, and many things in that realm. Other positive aspects would possibly be having time to find more active activities to do such as go out with friends or exercise. The outlaw of cellphones and computers may even lower the current percentage of overweight and obese adults and children, which is at a shocking rate of 68.5% (more than two-thirds of our country) according to the National Center of Health Statistics, 2012. Many students may also go back to borrowing and/or purchasing books to find information from libraries or book stores for school, which would be more accurate and resourceful than the Internet. Many of these advantages would be great for our society.


To many people who have become and are accustomed to our country’s current culture of using technology for about anything and everything, the outlaw of cellphones and computers would be outrageous. Disadvantages that would come with the outlaw would probably be having difficulty or slower way of communicating important and/or emergency information via news broadcasters to society.Younger generations of people who are consumed in these devices would probably have difficulty finding something productive to do elsewhere. The outlaw of cell phones and computers would most likely lead to the illegal purchasing of these items through the black market or  other secretive ways, which would lead to more crime. In conclusion, the disadvantages of the outlaw of computers and cellphones may do more damage than good for society.


The outlaw of cell phones and computers, would have positive and negative aspects to our society. In reality, my personal belief is that this outlaw would never be put into place, because of how technology has become a significant part of our everyday lives in many things we do. All-in-all with how technologically advanced our country is today and in our future to come, the outlaw of these devices would be a drastic step for our society to take.