New OrleansIs Way Better Than Rio | Teen Ink

New OrleansIs Way Better Than Rio

By Jennnnifer_ BRONZE, Sacramento, California
Jennnnifer_ BRONZE, Sacramento, California

New Orleans is cooler then Rio because New Orleans has jazz, Voodoo, Mardi Gras and the French Quarter even though my opponent may argue that Brazil has samba, carnaval and that brazil won the world cup but in carnaval everyone has a specific job and they have to do things one way while in Mardi Gras you do whatever you want you just go with the flow and you get to hide behind a mask and be whoever you want. Jazz is cooler then because you never hear the same thing twice. Therefore New Orleans is better than Rio.

New Orleans jazz is way better then Brazils samba because samba is like a fake jazz and New Orleans jazz is the original and New Orleans jazz is everywhere, clubs even leave their doors open so the sound fills the streets as the author in New Orleans data set states, “Music is in the air everywhere in New Orleans. Most clubs leave their doors wide open for the sounds to drift in the city streets.”

Voodoo is better then Brazils Catholicism because in voodoo the zombi is a good god and the snake that gives us sight and in Rio it almost takes sight and the zombi is bad as Mr. Johnson states “voodoo is a mixture of African voodoo and European Catholism, New Orleans religion is darker and more interesting then Rios Catholicism.”  From New Orleans data set the author states, “Voodoo originated in the African kingdom of dahomety (new benin).

Mardi Gras is better than carnaval because in carnaval everyone has a specific job and specific number of people who can do that job but in Mardi Gras everyone is whoever they want to be and do what they want, nothing is planned. As the author state in New Orleans data set, “Many people in the parade wear very wild and colorful costumes and makes.” You get to hide your identity and be whoever you want behind that mask.

When people talk about neighborhoods in New Orleans they think about the beautiful, elegant French Quarter and when people talk about neighborhoods in Brazil they talk about…. the scary dangerous place of Favelas. Who would want to go to favelas? A place where if anyone speaks anything about what is going on than your life is on the line, you can’t even leave, you can’t be happy there, everyday your scared which is nothing compared to the French Quarter where people from all over the world go to visit there and tourist go, make videos about how beautiful it is, and get all their history. The French Quarter is a marker, full of like old stuff and art. The streets are filled with galleries, voodoo shops and much more super cool stores you can visit. As the author in New Orleans data set states, “The French Quarter is a market area full of antiques, art and tourist gift boutiques. Side streets are lined with galleries, perfume stores, sidewalk cafes, tearooms, and Voodoo shops. What do the Favelas have? Big scary men with guns? Unless you’re looking for a coke deal come to the favelas. If you’re looking for a fun time come to New Orleaaaaaans!

Therefore, New Orleans is wayyyy better then Rio because New Orleans is so gray, it’s just such an unpredictable city, you never know what you might see or the stories you’ll here. Voodoo is gray because it’s a mixture of Catholicism and African religion.  Jazz is better than samba because it’s the original it’s a combination of style. Jazz is better than samba because it’s the original it’s a combination of style. Mardi Gras is better than carnaval because you can be anyone you want and hide behind masks, keeping your identity unknown.

Theres this big argument with Mrs. Ramos and Mr. Johnson about whos better, Rio or New Orleans, Mrs. Ramos goes for Rio and Mr. Johnson goes for New Orleans. I obviously went for New Orleans.