Travelling... | Teen Ink

Travelling...

By TChev BRONZE, Stratford, Other
TChev BRONZE, Stratford, Other

"Be the change you want to see in the world"
"I can do all things through him who gives me strength"

“The world is a book and those who do not travel only read one page”
Saint Augustine

Imagine never traveling and staying in one place for most of your life. No big adventures of hopping onto a plane into what seems like another world. Walking around the streets where you can see more than by looking at a picture, snapping a few of your own to be able to look back to that moment and remember it forever. The cultures, the languages, the fashion, the transportation, the way of life are all different from place to place. Imagine never seeing what life is like on the other side of the world.

Taking the time to travel, to see the world and taste the fullness of life will be the best decision you have ever made. According to a survey by “Adventures”, 83% of respondents stated that traveling is very important.In another one of “Adventures” surveys, 68% of people are happiest experiencing new things.Therefore, it’s worth whatever investment or money or sacrifice of time that may be required on your part. Traveling provides a person with learning and education, like how to read a map, hop on and off subways and trains, learn new words in different languages, learn about the history of the different places and lots more. But there’s always that question that pops up; “Yeah but…”  Traveling is much more than just becoming a tourist. It’s about experiencing true risks and adventure so you don’t live in dullness for the rest of your life. In a “Happiness survey”, 60% of people say that they get inspired to travel by browsing online. Later on, when you look back on your life, you will have many moments of which you are proud and maybe a few which you learn from. More specifically, the only choices you will ever regret making are the ones where you decided hold back because you were afraid, making excuses and not taking risks.

Traveling helps you to connect with other cultures. For example, that moment when you take the first bite of true Italian pizza, and sample all the different flavours of gelato. One of the most famous smells in Assisi is that of freshly made crepes piled with Nutella, direct from the crepe maker’s cart. Another awesome experience is eating a real chocolate dipped Belgium waffle in the Brussels airport during a short layover. Furthermore, the fashions are different all over the world, from kimonos, pashminas, beret’s and kilts to a typical jeans and a t-shirt that we normally see here in Canada. Finally, the sounds of traditional music around the world, from violins to bagpipes. “Tripping at work” stated that 50% of people day dream about traveling at least one hour a day. Imagine, seeing Paris at night from the top of the Eiffel tower or seeing the real Mona Lisa painting up close.

With travelling, you will begin to understand that the world is both a big and small place. Going to other countries where basic necessities are not always available is a real eye opener.You will have a new-found respect for the pain and suffering that half of the world takes for granted on a daily basis. Some of which can be as simple as food, electricity, transport, heating and safety. It helps to really appreciate the life we have and the country in which we live. Also, traveling broadens ones perspective on life, you learn that there is a lot more beyond our little island.

Go out. Get to know the world and the magnificent people that fill it. Sooner than later, you will want to travel more and more. There’s nothing like walking alongside the ancient Roman Coliseum, imagining all the things that have gone on inside these walls, or climbing to the top of Saint Peter’s dome in the Vatican to see a panoramic view of Rome. A trip to Ireland is not complete without bending over backwards to kiss the Blarney stone. I could describe the various places in the world and the amazing things one experiences when traveling abroad, but you really have to see it for yourself. You can watch movies, documentaries, read all the books in the world about the Great Wall of China or the Louvre museum in Paris, however, being there is a completely different story. The world is a stunning place, full of outstanding works of art. See it. Experience the world for all its worth.

“Traveling is like a chapter in your book you will always want to go back and read over and over again.”
                        Unknown