Snorkeling in Hawaii | Teen Ink

Snorkeling in Hawaii

By EricJer BRONZE, Walledlake, Michigan
EricJer BRONZE, Walledlake, Michigan

Its February during mid-winter break a three hour flight to Arizona and another six hours to Hawaii. The three hour flight wasn’t anything to complain about compared to the six hour it was torture with a reward at the end. Finally out of the little oval window I saw green in the middle of the ocean and I was overjoyed that I am finally here. Landing on the scorching pavement surrounded by lush greenery. Walking off the plane smelling the crisp humid air. Hair starts to frizz, sweat gathers on my upper lip and drizzles down to my mouth. Its 80 degrees here you feel the refreshing trade winds blow through your fingertips to keep you cool. It’s almost like another world set so far away from everything there is no place like it. Everywhere you look there’s a white sandy beach with pounding waves crashing on the shore. You look to your side and there’s nothing but water you’re on a tropical get away that seems to last a life time. The sun slowly penetrates my pale skin turning it into a much needed tan. We arrive at our resort The Grand Wailea many of you might know of it from the movie just go with it with Adam Sandler. As we got out of the car bussers in all white uniforms kindly took our minivan away. The property was gorgeous and breathless they even have their own waterfall. As we walked into the lobby we got laid with a lei or a flower necklace that were purple but come in many different colors. The lobby has a variety of plants and statues, in the center is a huge circular bar surrounded with water. We got our room keys and went to find our room. We opened the door and I ran for the balcony that overviewed the courtyard which had many different pathways and koi ponds. I changed into my bathing suit, grabbed my snorkel and mask, and headed straight for the ocean. You could stare at the water for hours watching the waves go bye but I want what is underneath the surface. I fill my lungs with air and dive into the abyss; I open my eyes and saw the reef that stretched for miles filled with all types of exotic underwater creatures. I dove down getting close to the bottom which was only ten to twelve feet deep at that point. The fish were an arrangement of colors that Crayola can’t even create. I swim for hours fascinated by all the creatures that I’ve seen like sea urchins, trigger fish, eels, turtles, crabs, and anemones. It was as if I was in an aquarium filled with the most exotic fish in the world. Humpback whales sang for each other and I could hear them communicating with each other at first it was strange and it sounds like someone is yelling at you under water but you get used to it. I came up every minute just for air and then went down again to explore. On my next breath I heard screams coming from the shore and a helicopter flew overhead. My mom was screaming for me to get in, the waves were so strong that they smacked and pulled me back as I tried to escape their grasp. After ten minutes of exhausting swimming I made it to the shore. A thirteen foot tiger shark was spotted by the coast guard and everyone was out of the water. It was coming to where I had just been a few minutes before. Tiger sharks are one of the most aggressive sharks and will attack anything including humans. Im lucky I didn’t run into it while snorkeling on the reef it would have been a blood bath occurring with my blood. Hawaii is one of the greatest places on earth with hidden treasures on top and under the surface. You only have to explore to find those treasures and you will remember them for the rest of your life just like I did.