Thanksgiving and Pilgrims | Teen Ink

Thanksgiving and Pilgrims

By LilyAnn367 SILVER, Ransom, Illinois
LilyAnn367 SILVER, Ransom, Illinois
8 articles 1 photo 1 comment

I Believe everyone has a destiny. I believe everyone has a soul mate out there. It's just the matter of finding them. Some people go through their whole life without finding them. And others find them in a matter of years...

The pilgrims came over in the Mayflower, seeking religious freedom, in the New World. What I remember from the pilgrims, they were people who came over here, and started the American tradition of Thanksgiving. Their journey took 65 days. The pilgrims sailed from Delft haven, Holland to Southampton, England. When they arrived they met another ship, the Mayflower. The Mayflower had just come from England, with a great percentage of people on board. The pilgrims, were uncertain about these people, they did not know them, but they understood that the people were all investors that had interest in joining the voyage. After the pilgrims, and investors were settled and inside the ships, the ship set off to Southampton. There, the ships got stocked with supplies, food to last for a long while on their voyage. When they deported from their pit stop, they sailed to America. After the 300 miles, the Speedwell began to leak. The captains of the Speedwell were nervous they couldn’t make it to America, so they apologized to their passengers, and turned around to head home. The Mayflower continued to sail forward, and after a harsh trip they arrived. When they reached America, pilgrims continued their voyage, and explored the
Cape Cod, and settled their.

After a while, pilgrims came face to face with the Wampanoag tribe, who then, taught them to hunt and plant crops. Soon the pilgrims decided to accept the tribe as a friend and share their tradition, Thanksgiving.

I celebrate my Thanksgiving at my house, where everyone comes to enjoy a great feast. My whole family gathers and carves the turkey and digs in. The day before Thanksgiving, my mom and I prepare dinner, and roast the turkey all night. When we are done eating, the house becomes really loud. Everyone talks about new things, and exciting opportunities. I love Thanksgiving, because that’s when I get to see my family, and most of all get to eat. Thanksgiving is lots of fun, when your celebrating it with the ones you love.