Offering at Wounded Knee | Teen Ink

Offering at Wounded Knee

October 4, 2008
By EmilytheAuthor DIAMOND, St. Francisville, Louisiana
EmilytheAuthor DIAMOND, St. Francisville, Louisiana
55 articles 20 photos 10 comments

Favorite Quote:
Be who you are and say what you feel because those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind. -dr. seuss


The South Dakota sun beats down on the uncovered heads brutally. The air was cloudless and icy blue. The graveyard is filled with teens in blue t-shirts. They walk beside graves, talking, laughing, oblivious to the world around them. The sunflowers dance around them, swaying in the breeze, vying for attention. One girl breaks away from her group. This place has a feeling, a certain magic. The girl walks towards the resting place of a young child. Instead of thinking "How sad." and walking away, her mind starts to wander to the same place, many years ago. She thinks of the total strangers slaughtered here over 100 years ago. She continues her trek around the graves. She stops in front of a unmarked grave. Her heart immediately fills with so much feeling, she feels like her heart will burst. She wants to give something, anything. Most of the other graves had gifts upon them. The girl untied her hair tie from her light brown hair. She knelt down and placed it on the wooden cross before her. She felt something indescribable coming over her. The sun was shining. The flowers danced, as if the souls of the forgotten and remembered were among them, dancing to a song only they could here, dancing to redeem the good earth of the terrible crime done here long ago.
For a moment, all was good.