Magic | Teen Ink

Magic

By ninapaniena PLATINUM, Sammamish, Washington
ninapaniena PLATINUM, Sammamish, Washington

To be a good surgeon you have to think like a surgeon, emotions are messy, tuck them neatly away and step into a clean sterile room, where the procedure is simple, cut suture, and close. But sometimes your faced with a cut that won't heal, a cut that rips the stitches right open

6th grade. A time where I wanted to get to know everyone. A time where I met my friends. The jump start to my EAS life. Now, as a 7th grader, those goals have been met. I have my friends, I know my routine, I know the expectations, and now I know more of myself. I needed new goals. Goals to learn about my surroundings and myself. Another three trips were in store for me. Camp Hamilton, April Trips and Bowman Bay. These moments will be treasured and cherished in my mind till I die. From strenuous hikes to the floor- rolling laughter, these moments have shaped me. They have taught me the life skills and given me the opportunities that some don’t get. I am lucky. Sometimes I take all of it for granted, but I always reflect. Reflect at the moments that changed my views, my thoughts, the way I knew life.
Camp Hamilton was different. The smell of the morning dew overwhelmed me as I drove into camp. The trees were larger, the lake was murkier and there was a brand new year in front of me. For my first choice rotation I was going fun-yakking. Swimsuit on and friends by my side, we pulled the fun-yaks out one by one. Flashing back to 6th grade, I was terrified of the lake. By the end of every swimming rotation I was shivering in a towel staring at my discolored toes. I didn’t want that this year. Fun- yaks were being flipped upside-down everywhere. After the occasional flipping, I made my way to the dock. About a handful of my friends were there including the lifeguard, Barbie. We decided to play a game. Someone has a word in mind that belongs to a category such as a color, animal or even a Harry Potter reference. If someone guessed that word they were pushed into the lake. Splash after splash, everyone was pushed in. For a second I forgot that I was in murky, ice cold, parasitic infected water. I was with my friends. Bonds grew closer and I felt happy. One amazing time in my life where I got to be closer with friends.
That’s not the only amazing time! As April grew closer, the excitement was in the air. When I found out that I was on Mr. Rose’s trip I wasn’t excited at first. I was hoping to be on Canada but I decided that I would make the best out of my trip anyway. After looking back, I would choose this trip rather than Canada any day. As soon as I stepped off the plane in the Las Vegas Airport; I knew this was going to be a fun trip. The sun was beating down on my face. Being a “Seattleite” I was not familiar with this thing they called “sun”. Day 5, we stayed in Moab where we would be hiking and biking. Across the street from our campsite there was a huge mass of rocks to go hiking on. The sticky rock called stick rock clung to our shoes, like Velcro. One evening Kelsey and I climbed all around the rocks. Trekking through the caves and climbing over the hills, we sat and talked. No one could see us. No one could hear us. We weren’t in the same integrated and the distance between our houses made it hard for us to catch up, but this was two hours of just us, talking. A view of the campsite and the Colorado River in sight, we talked and talked, Hearing the bullhorn for dinner, our time was up. On the way down the mountain I was talking about my favorite classes and Kelsey says, “Heart!” “Pardon me?” I say. She replies “Look the rock is shaped like a heart!” I thought. “Wow! Cute!” practically being sisters, Kelsey and I thought it was one. Just one heart, but no. The leaf stuck to Kelsey’s shoe. The 14 rocks on the hike down. The notch in the tree. The rock stain in the cliff. The cave shape. All hearts. Not even a joke. As Kelsey is, she freaked. Every five minutes, “HEART!” She thought it was a “symbol” of our sisterly love for each other. Kelsey, the dipstick like, obnoxious and sister like figure of mine, knew me better. I got to talk to Kelsey and Talia and Alec and Kyler and Catherine and I got to know a lot of the 6th graders better on the trip. From a soap fight with Catherine to a game of cards with Trevor, I was growing closer to my peers.
Yes ,it is May 27th ,and I am talking about Bowman Bay. I am leaving June 3rd for what could be an amazing week, but I have no clue. I can choose to be grumpy and make my week terrible or I could have a blast. When I saw the Bowman Bay list posted on the ceiling, I freaked. I grabbed the nearest stool and used Emma as a support. As I found my name, I saw other 7th grade names. Brooke, Kyler, Nathan. None of these people I talked to on a regular basis. There was my goal. I wanted to get to know these three better. Not only those three but the rest of my group too. I also want to be better for boating. Last year my experience on the Cutty Sark was terrifying. The first time I had ever gotten sea sick, I was sad. I wasn’t steering. I was puking on the left port. This year I am going to be better, or at least I will try. Maybe I can persevere through the motion sickness and be an amazing sailor! It all depends on me.
With the year coming to an end, a new one will start, it is as some say, “only the beginning” Next year is my last year. No 9th grade for me because the school board is very dumbfounded. I have to make the most of the remainder of my days at EAS because they are coming to an end. I will go to high school then college and hopefully medical school. I hope I will become a world-class general surgeon. Or maybe a forensic anthropologist. Yet, I know those times will not even compare to what I have learned at EAS. It has only been 2 years and I am beaming. I have been carved away and sculpted into myself now. My creation isn’t done, but it will be done soon. Hopefully, very soon.

My school takes 3 trips a year, 2 in our state and 1 either in or out of the state. This was the piece on the trips in my 7th grade year. A little background to understand parts of my piece... My school goes from 6th to 9th and you leave your elementary a year early to go to my school. The three trips are enrichment and we usually camp. Camp Hamilton we have rotations and we stay in cabins and swim and that stuff. My April Trip was on a tour bus and camping in Utah, Arizona and Nevada. Bowman Bay is camping in tents where we go around and do rotations like cooking and sailing.