Re-Runs Shall Dominate | Teen Ink

Re-Runs Shall Dominate

January 23, 2008
By Anonymous

After two decades of peace…the WGAE and WGAW, two labor unions that represent movie, television and radio writers currently working in the USA, have stopped writing. Unless you count the slogans they’re writing on their picket signs.
The strike is no laughing matter; However not everyone is being hampered by the industry-wide strike. Talk-show giant David Letterman, who owns his own production company, made an individual deal with his writers. Conan O’ Brien, Jay Leno, Jimmy Kimmel, Stephen Colbert, and Jon Stewart have all crossed the picket lines (by choice or because they were forced by their networks). Other shows, such as The Office, Heroes, Grey’s Anatomy, Desperate Housewives, Scrubs, Pushing Daisies, and many other favorites are no longer running new episodes. 24 has cancelled their season entirely.
The strike has not gone well with the students here at MCDs. Sophomore Emily Dalmas almost cried when asked about her view on the strike: “[there’s] no point of life w/ out Desperate Housewives.” Senior Sean Doyle says, “I solely watch Scrubs. […], and again solely care about Scrubs.” According to Junior Nicole Holtz , “The strike has basically ruined my weekday night life, …I have all this time on my hands and do nothing with it.”
Will we ever be able to return to our normal lives (which almost require TV for survival)? Only the WGA and the TV networks know for sure. In the meantime, read a book.