Boston: A World in Itself | Teen Ink

Boston: A World in Itself MAG

Bostonis not merely a city, it is also a world. It is a melting pot within the meltingpot we call the United States of America.

The neighborhoods seem likedifferent countries, with restaurants serving food from many countries. Bostonalso offers memorable pasts of its sports teams, a rich Revolutionary history,many colleges within walking distance of each other and a growing industry aroundthe Charles River. The Boston area is becoming recognized for its diversepopulation, cultures and big city atmosphere.

Looking at the people ofBoston is like looking at a box of crayons. Boston has long been home to manybrilliant minds, due to the variety of people who live there. With the exceptionof perhaps only New York, the most diversity in the country has to be inBeantown. Take Boston's colleges, for example: they have students from all over.Walking around the campuses, it would be difficult to know where in the world youreally are. The crimson of Harvard, the maroon and gold of Boston College and therose of Boston University are just a few colors of Beantown. Despite theirbackgrounds, the people all become Bostonians, and the city is like arainbow.

Cultural diversity is a key part of life in Boston. There areneighborhoods that look like old Italy and restaurants with good Polish homecooking. In the center of Boston is a market called Faneuil Hall, with 40 foodstalls. As I walked, I wanted to try a little of everything, but was only able tosample a few. Anyone would feel at home here. There are as many cultures inBoston as there are fresh fruits in the stands of Haymarket Square.

Forsuch a small area, Boston has all the fixings of a major metropolis: bigbuildings, huge freeways with constant construction and the many docks andharbors. Also, the number of Boston's sports teams can compete with any city, andthe economy is booming. I was there in late July and the place was jammed; hotelswere booked, traffic jams were rampant and people were walking everywhere.Getting to a Red Sox game is a full day's job, not to mention the many museums,an aquarium and whale watching trips which are all said to be fantastic. It isamazing how many things there are to do in such a small place.

People fromBoston are different in many ways, but like the crayons, they all live in thesame box. The city's rich history brings together a diverse group of people allknown as Bostonians. The different neighborhoods make everyone feel at home nomatter where they are from, and the many places to go and things to see makeBoston a great tourist destination. Boston is truly a rainbow of a city and aworld in itself.

South Pacific Discovery by Mary D., Williamsville, NY

Chickens by Andrea W., New York, NY

London by Kaitlin B., Norwell, MA

The Dichotomy of Prague by Alexander B., Clintondale, NY

Moscow by Arthur F., Eagan, MN

Golden Food by Aditi G., New City, NY

By Jill P., Westborough, MA

Send your work

Email a Friend

Send your work

More Travel
TopRightExtra.jpeg
Extra160.jpeg
Extra160bot.jpeg
Teen Ink - PO Box 30, Newton, MA 02461 - (617) 964-6800 - editor@teenink.com
Published by The Young Authors Foundation, Inc. - A 501(c)3 nonprofit organization.
Copyright 2006 by Teen Ink, The 21st Century and The Young Authors Foundation, Inc. All rights reserved.
Thispublication may not be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system ortransmitted in any form or by any means,
without the writtenpermission of the publisher: The Young Authors Foundation, Inc.