Alaska . | Teen Ink

Alaska .

By michy_ BRONZE, Gainsville, Georgia
michy_ BRONZE, Gainsville, Georgia

"everything happens for a reason."

Alaska is the 49th state and largest state of the united states of America by area . The U.S senate approved the purchase of Alaska from the Russian empire on march 30th, 1867 , for $7.2 million . The land went through several changes before becoming a organized territory . The name Alaska was already introduced in the russian colonial time, when it was used only for the peninsula, and derived from the mainland . Alaska is also known as Alyeska which means “the great land”, an Aleut word derived from the same root . Alaskas state motto is “north to the future” and has received the nicknames “the last frontier”,“land of the midnight sun”, and “Seward's icebox” . Some things you would specifically find in alaska are the four spot skimmer dragonfly, the flower forget-me-not, the king salmon, the bowhead whale, the sitka spruce, and the wooly mammoth .

alaska is cold.

AlaskaGirl GOLD, Klawock, Alaska

"Screw the shining armor. I will take my man in dirty camo any day"

Alaska is not cold all of the time, it just depends on where you are from and what part of Alaska you are in. I live in South East, Alaska and in my opinion our weather is like that of... Washington... unpredictable, rainy, and REALLY wet... But other than that it was a really good article well written. 

michy_ BRONZE said...
michy_ BRONZE, Gainsville, Georgia

"everything happens for a reason."

nope. lol it was an article for school. but it would be fun to go.

conversegirl23 BRONZE, Wasilla, Alaska
1 article 1 photo 36 comments

"So many frogs, so few princes"

You've never been to Alaska, have you?

blawasb said...
What A nice description about Alaska. I like Alaska so reading about its interesting history was great. I would use this interesting information in a report. All of the information is accurate and precise. I did not know where the name Alaska came from but it said that it came from Aleut root. I always thought we bought Alaska from Denmark But it said that we bought it from Russia. I enjoyed this piece.