Two Countries This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Moving to a different city or state may seem pretty difficult. You have to change schools, say good-bye to good friends, meet new kids, and get used to your new home. But you can always go back to that state or city to visit. Now, when you change or move to another country, that's a different story.

My parents are missionaries. My dad, who is Brazilian, is really funny and can make friends quickly. He's easy to talk to, always tries to help everyone, and is extremely outgoing. My mom, who is Swiss, is usually quiet and a bit shy. She likes to be very organized, while my dad is a specialist in procrastinating. She enjoys staying home to watch a movie or read a book, while my dad always wants to go out. Swiss and Brazilian – what a mix!

After my parents married, they moved to my mom's country, Switzerland. There they had my brother and me. When I was two, we moved to Brazil, where my sister and other brother were born. During my childhood we visited Switzerland every couple of years.

Many people ask me if I prefer to live in Brazil or Switzerland. It's really hard to answer because I love both countries. Brazil is a big country, with many states and people. There are multiple dialects and accents of Portuguese, depending on the region, and many types of foods and spices (and in my opinion, the best barbecue in the world). The people have beautiful smiles and are always happy, even if they are poor.

When you walk down the street you will always see little kids playing soccer. In the south, the climate is cool, but here in the north (where I live) it's hot and humid. Luckily, there's wonderful rain every afternoon that refreshes everything.

Switzerland, on the other hand, is small but beautiful and clean, and there's little crime. There are four languages in that tiny country (amazing, huh?). The people are very different from Brazilians; they are typically well-off, independent, responsible, and really organized, like my mom. The food is delicious; there's fondue, raclette (potatoes with melted cheese), and of course, the famous Swiss chocolate. The climate is always dry and cool.

Truly, I love both countries. But I think I prefer Switzerland. It's hard to explain, but when I go there, I feel cozy, happy, excited, and at home. When I walk down the street, everywhere I look it's just pleasant, calm, peaceful.

In a few years I will have to decide where to go to college. I don't know where I want to live – here in Brazil, Switzerland, or even the United States. But for now I am happy here, in this magnificent country, this hot Brazil.

Son7 said...
Jan. 16 at 9:28 pm:
I really like your story! 
And Mr. Stewart is my english teacher and he is AWESOME 

Nathalie L. This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Apr. 19 at 11:02 am :
Thank you. that means a lot!
Mr.Stewart is an awesome teacher indeed!

CecilieCatalina said...
Wow great job! I'm half european and latinamerican as well, and I just moved to Australia, it's hard to choose between two countries, I can totally relate!
Salud! 

Apr. 19 at 11:01 am :
Sorry for the super late reply. Wow! What a mix! 
Thanks for commenting and reading! :)
God bless

yoitsme said...
Jul. 5, 2011 at 3:18 am:
I can totally relate too... I'm an MK in Papua New Guinea... you probably haven't heard of it... it's an island near Australia... But Anyways... good job on writing it.... it's really good...

Jul. 6, 2011 at 9:12 am :

lol...yep, I've never heard of it :)

But it sounds like a cool place to live at.

Thanks :D

adam.c said...
I'm also planning to have my studies abroad cause in india there are religious fights.i am a christian,but killing of christians is becomming so common now a days in many parts of india....even babies are burned alive by hindu people.........i always use to thanks god for still i'm breathing.....i'm going to finish my 12th grade in next march.so have to decide...in U.K,U.S.A or in Canada

Apr. 19 at 11:04 am :
Adam,
Thank you for reading and commenting!
I never experienced persecution, but I will be praying for you and all the other Christians in India. Be strong in the Lord and never be ashamed of Jesus Christ!
God bless you

Camii said...
Feb. 25, 2011 at 10:01 am:

I also moved to another country and people always ask me which country I prefer and sometimes I say both but  in Argentina I lived my whole life ,, but I can totally relate to it:)

It's very good by the way:)

Feb. 27, 2011 at 7:31 pm :

Thanks for reading Cami :)

Yeah, it's kind of hard to answer those kind of questions.

God bless. :)

audeospero/idare2hope/ said...
I can totally relate-- MK in Bulgaria. Switzerland is amazing, even the airport is different. :) how many languages do you speak? 

Apr. 19 at 11:06 am :
Sorry for the super late reply, I haven't done a good job keeping up with TeenInk! 
But thank you for reading and commenting. I speak Portuguese, English and French :)
God bless you!

skccal said...
Feb. 1, 2010 at 1:27 pm:
I deffinatley can relate in smaller scale!

lillipinetree said...
nathalie...this is awesome!! congrats girl!! mtss sdds!!

Jan. 4, 2010 at 10:38 am :
Hey, thanks Lillian!
sdds tbm!! :D

Mr. C said...
Nathalie!! Great job. We miss you!

Jan. 4, 2010 at 10:41 am :
Thank you.
Miss guys too :)

Diana said...
Jan. 2, 2010 at 8:52 am:
GOSTEI CABEÇÃO!!
what you wrote is very true, looking forward in seeing you ( my great author friend) soon again!
=)

Jan. 4, 2010 at 10:42 am :
Dianaaa! :D thanks!
Vlw ae! Hope to see you soon 2 :D

tata12 said...
Good Job Nathalie...tht was AWESOME!