Traveling Survival Guide: A Different Take on Journaling | Teen Ink

Traveling Survival Guide: A Different Take on Journaling MAG

April 7, 2019
By southernblonde SILVER, Phoenix, Arizona
southernblonde SILVER, Phoenix, Arizona
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you are kind, people may accuse you of ulterior motives. Be kind anyways." -Mother Teresa


Journaling a daily travel guide is an art, a life hack, and a time for reflection all in one. Just as one person may be captivated by the travel itself, I am captivated by the minuscule details of life in every new city, place, or country I visit. 

When I explore my cultural horizons, I find myself drawn to the random lady on the tube who wears a bow bigger than her forehead, the running speed of illegal vendors selling Eiffel Tower keychains when the police pull up, and even how the crepes sold under the Eiffel Tower taste best with Nutella, strawberries, and bananas. These little details of life spark my curiosity. What were the best little things about that day? Was it learning that the toilet paper in London hotels double as a tissue? Or was it that the best tasting water on a scorching hot day is bought coming out of the Palace of Versailles for a single euro? What about the importance of tea-time gossip and a game of cards at midnight in Barcelona? Or that I realized the best way to keep your hands full in Montmartre is to buy a sandwich on a fresh baguette, cross the street, and purchase a raspberry gelato to go in the other hand?

After each long day I spend playing the part of an explorer captivated by the world’s beauty, I sit down and write what I like to call, “Cassie’s Declassified Travel Survival Guide.” When I am writing, all the small details from the day come rushing back, and it’s like unloading a valise full of French scarves. Funny details, experiences, concerns, cultural differences, interests, thoughts, and feelings tumble onto the pages of my journal. When I’m writing, I re-experience the range of emotions from the day: ecstatic, nervous, excited, even restless. 

Having the ability to recall these sentimental memories is what makes me so in love with journaling. I can reflect on the wonders of my day and bask in the highlights of new experiences. When I finally finish recording my “survival tips” – the details of each new adventure that turn a blank page into an intricate story – I re-read my guide. Reviewing my journal allows me to travel back in time. Each page is a portal that transports me back into the midst of the Champ de Mars or the bird’s-eye view from the London Eye.

However, the most important aspect of my journaling is not the mental time travel or the ability to relive a day like rewinding your favorite movie scene. It is remembering all the minute details of each trip that could change the world of travel. I believe everyone should know that sitting at the top edge of a Roman amphitheater is crucial for experiencing life like a Gladiator (even if it is a little dangerous). I believe that travelers should be informed that airplane toilets do explode, and that Delta will pay for your stay at a fancy hotel until you find a ride home. Most importantly, people should know that you can be captivated by the small details of the world. After all, it is the small details of life that have the biggest impact and create the best memories.


The author's comments:

I love traveling and a great way to remember all the small moments is to journal! I believe everyone should journal their day becasue so many amazing, small moments get forgotten over time.