Wonder | Teen Ink

Wonder

By colorpop SILVER, Brookfield, Wisconsin
colorpop SILVER, Brookfield, Wisconsin

Last spring break my dad,  brother and I went to California as we do every spring break.But this time it was different. We went to the outskirts in between LA and San Diego for two days.

As we awake in our AirBnB the sun boiling through the dusty olive green curtains telling us it’s time to hike we pack the backpack full of waters and get in the mustang convertible and speed off through the rocky, roads to Joshua Tree National Park. Once we got there it already felt like we were in an oven with the heat going up but we quickly guzzled are first bottle of water as we started up the long 4 hour path up and down the large intimidating mountain. struggling to catch my breath as we were only half way up to the desert and a long ways to go.

The Air was Stiff and the heat was blazing it was hard to believe that animals are able to survive in this heat. We had been going for about 2 hours and you could finally see the extravagant destination from the peak of the mountain. As we started to get closer the view began to changed from looking around at paths of light tan sand to finally being able to see palm trees the beauty of the sight was beaming. Once you reach the spot your body is as dry as a bone with the sun shining off your back that not even sunscreen could save you from getting a burn but then there is shade and beautiful flowers and bees fly all around you as you take a break on a rock.

The most memorable feeling of this trip was when I reached that one feeling of calm and peacefulness. Just sitting on that rock and looking around at my surroundings and appreciating what the earth has by just taking that 4 hour hike. I would have never thought that, that one hike would make me feel so at peace as if the world had just stopped and nothing else matters except for the views. To be on this hike and disconnected from life and connection with no distractions except for the thoughts in your head, you get the chance to look around for once and see things that some people will never get to see or feel the same way that you have about that one journey as what you had and to be able to experience it with the people that mean the most to you makes the trip even more amazing.