Sense of Wonder | Teen Ink

Sense of Wonder

October 29, 2018
By Bunkwell SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
Bunkwell SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

It was the Christmas of 2015, and my family and I were headed off to Patagonia. What Patagonia exactly was? I had no idea even though I told numerous classmates I was going there five months beforehand. Our first place was Buenos Aires, where I was immediately faced with culture shock. I had no cell service, and was anxious to find the nearest wifi.

After spending a few days in Buenos Aires, we went more south, to a place called Bariloche. Looking out the hotel room is nothing but mountains, like a painting in real life. Playing a game of cards overlooking the mountains with my family put a mature 14 year old in perspective. I had wifi, but didn’t feel compelled to check my phone. I was so taken back by the view, and the happiness that was extracting off the table. This was only the start.

A couple days later, I travelled more south to Tierra del Paz. This is where we decided to go on a once in a lifetime hike. We get to the bottom of the mountain and go on Horseback a couple miles. This was a dream, not using any energy, and solely focusing on the views and smiles coming off my family. Until, we had to get off and walk the rest ourselves. It was at this moment that I had a excruciating headache. I told my Parents I am going to stay back with my Grandpa, who couldn’t go any further because of his back. They said “Max, you have to see this”. I went on. A couple miles, and what felt like a million steps later, we reached the peak. As I looked out into the distance, I realized what life is about. Life isn’t about Social media, what others say about you. It is about experiences, family, and love. I stood up at the top in complete awe. I have never seen anything like it. The experiences I had during this trip surrounded by people who I love, is something I will never forget. When thinking back at this trip, I am continuously reminded to stay happy, not to dwell on the bad, there is so much good in the world.