skiing history | Teen Ink

skiing history

March 18, 2009
By Daniel riley BRONZE, Park City, Utah
Daniel riley BRONZE, Park City, Utah
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Skiing is a very old sport. It has been around for thousands of years. And to me skiing is the best sport ever.


Skiing originated in Sweden over 4500 years ago. The first skis evolved from snowshoes and ski poles evolved from walking sticks. A skis purpose was not for recreation but instead designed to keep skiers above the snow so they had a more comfortable trip.


In the early 1700s Norwegians started to race on skis. They have been largely credited with developing skiing into a sport. In the 1900s skiing became more popular in Europe. In the Second World War solders used skis to moue more quickly in the mountains. This caused skiing to become more popular. New ski technology was invented that allowed skiers to go down steeper slopes and travel at higher speeds.


In 1936 the first chairlift was invented. This eliminated the labor of climbing a mountain before you ski down. In the late 1940s the ski industry began. Ski resorts became more popular everywhere. The first winter Olympic Games with skiing was in 1924. The games were held in Chamonix, France. Around 1940 skiing became more popular in the United States. By 1960 over 400 ski resorts were created in the U.S. Skiing has evolved a lot since it was first invented. Now people ski for pleasure and competition.