I Am So Lucky | Teen Ink

I Am So Lucky

May 25, 2018
By Anna070703 SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
Anna070703 SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I was so nervous, I could explode at that very second. It was my first year on the varsity dance team and it was the day. I was off to the state dance competition. Prior to this, we had a countdown our local community center where we practiced. We stuck printed out numbers on the wall and every day a senior took a number down. Then came the last number on the wall. That's when all of the seniors took it down together and I realized that they are going to be gone next year. When they took off the last number we had a little pep talk. The captains and our coaches talked about how fun it was and that it is something I will never forget. I have never had so many emotions in my life: nervous, excited, happy, and a little sad. Soon dance practice was over and I headed back home. When I reached my destination, I started to pack my bags. I listened to our dance song about a million times before I went to bed. I just kept thinking, I can't let my team down.


It was February 16th, 2018 and I was off to state. Our bus was being escorted by the ambulance and police when I looked out the window and spotted our fans. They were all standing by Freeberg Insurance waving and holding signs. I also saw my so-called "fan club", jumping up and down with a "Good Luck Anna" sign. I felt like the luckiest girl in the world, but I haven't even reached the best part.  We arrived at this huge building and I came to realize that we were staying here. A few hours passed by and we were walking in the streets of Minneapolis to get our dinner. The whole time our veteran dancers were talking about how awesome state day was and all of a sudden I was there.


That day we were dancing at the Target Center on the basketball court. I have been there before to watch dancers, but to be there to dance was a different feeling. I felt so ecstatic to be there, but I also felt like I was going to throw up. We all walked up to our dressing room, and well, it was super small. But all was well when we walked through the other side of the dressing room because there was the floor. We could see everything from the area we were in, and when I say everything, I mean everything. After everybody was done drooling over the sight of the floor, we started to get ready. We stretched until we felt like noodles and we listened to our song like it was One Direction's newest album. Lastly, we all put on basically another face full of makeup and slipped on our costumes. Soon enough we were all walking down to go dance.


It is a long process to go on stage. First, you have to stay in a room where we do even more stretching, stressing, listen to the music, and get a huge pep talk from our coaches and captains. We first got all of the stretchings out of the way, but the stressing never went away. Then we all gathered in our traditional circle, we held each other's hands, but that comes with strict protocol. We all have to cross our right hand over our left and the same goes for the legs. We then listen to the music and go over the dance in our head. Our coach always tells us that we have to visualize ourselves doing our best, but little did she know what was about to come. Then came the pep talk, which also included a lot of waterworks. The captains went first and told us to just to do our best and have the most fun we could ever have.  Our coaches told us that we need to push ourselves as hard as we have ever done before. That all of the hard work in practice is for the moment we are about to encounter.
This woman walked in and notified us that we were going to the to the chute. The chute is the area you go to before you walk on the stage. This is probably the most exhilarating part of the day. This is crunch time. You start to stretch more than you already have and you put on last touches for makeup and hair. We then get the line that we are walking on and we each get a hug from our coaches and the alternates who are sadly not dancing. The coaches come back around for the second time and give us mint breath spray. I have no idea how it benefits us, but we accept the offer anyway. Another woman notifies us that we are next to dance and that's when the butterflies start going crazy. Now is when all of the dancers hug each other and wish each other good luck. But sometimes, no matter how many times you say it, it doesn't help.


  Now is the time, the time we have been working for all year, It was time to go on stage. We walk out in a single file line, I look out to the audience and see our fan section. All those fans are here just to see a 3-minute dance routine. I kept thinking to myself, "Soon this will be over, so cherish it as long as you can." We all get in our starting position and our coach gives a thumbs up to the sound booth signaling that we were ready. And then the music started. It was going so well until about one minute into the dance I see somebody fall. She was right in front of me, yet I couldn't render what was going on. Then everybody saw what happened and everything just stopped. The whole arena was silent, but we had to exit the stage. Once we got through the exit, everybody started crying like babies. Our dancer was hurt, but we got offered to dance again. Our coach took that offer and there we were for the second time. In the chute. And to think I was nervous the first time, but I was sadly mistaken.


  We were just about to step foot on the floor when we looked around and we saw every single person standing on their feet and clapping for us. That's when it hit me in the face, I am so lucky to be in the place that I am. Some people aren't privileged enough to get to be on a dance team or even go to an event. So that second time on stage I danced for 3 reasons. For the fallen dancer, my team, and the ones who couldn't be there. After we danced, we had to rush back to the chute for the 3rd time. This time it was to hear who is going to finals. We had prepared ourselves for not making it because only the top 6 teams move on. We walked out holding hands, smiling yet crying at the same time. But when I really started cry was when the whole stadium stood up for us a second time. Our hurt dancer rolled out in a wheelchair with her best friend pushing her.  The announcer signaled us to quiet down and the whole stadium was pin-drop silent. He started to announce the finalist and he got to the last spot. "We didn't make it, We didn't make it" I kept telling myself. But when the announcer said our name, I couldn't help but cry even more than I was, which somehow was possible.


We had about an hour to get ready and gather ourselves. That's when this whole process started over again. I had to stretch, listen to our song, put on a different face because I cried off the other one, and lastly put on our costumes. That may seem like it takes 20 minutes but it was crunch time for us dancers. We then went back to the room that we go to before we go on stage. We still do the same thing here as before; stretch, listen to the song and get a pep talk. Except this pep talk was the most emotional that I have ever seen come from our coaches and captains. Then the woman told us that we have to go to the chute. Everything was the same but more intense because this was our last chance to show the judges what we got! We walked on stage and showed them what we had. Of course, we had a few mess ups, but nothing that's irregular.  We were all so happy and that feeling hit me again. I am so lucky to have the opportunities that I have. I tend to take things for granted, but this, this taught something new. It taught me that I shouldn't take things for granted and I should honor the opportunities that I have.  Although we placed 5th, I had an amazing time and learned a lesson that I shouldn't take things for granted.