Open Letter to Golf | Teen Ink

Open Letter to Golf MAG

May 24, 2018
By Anonymous

Dear Golf,

I know they say the heart is what keeps man alive, but there’s more to it than that. What keeps my blood pumping and my heart beating and my feet walking is what you do to my heart. You force it to pump, it needs you to pump. It pumps blood into my brain that can never stop thinking about you.

I know that I will never be the kid yelling, “Kobe!” I’ll never be the man who is a ball of muscle or the star on the field or court. I’ll never run routes for hours on end or shoot free throws for days – but, I will be on that green until dark and back there at dawn. I’ll be on the range working on my irons and on the course putting them into play.

I know people criticize you and the passion others have for you. It’s only because they don’t understand the wish to be the best, the desire for perfection. As cruel as you can be, you are just as gracious. I miss a three-footer here, but you grant me a 30-footer there. 

You’ll always be number one in my heart no matter where I go. I appreciate your give and take method. I understand I may never be the best but that’s okay. I know I may never be on tour and that’s okay. I understand. But I can always guarantee I’ll give you my best; for me you’re like a basic necessity, and I will always need you. Playing a round with a couple of friends, walking nine after school, lounging in a cart with the music up and the smell of a fresh-cut green …

I’m not the greatest or the best but I just needed you to know, Golf, you are my everything. What drives me to get up in the morning and to grind after school? You are what keeps my legs walking and my blood pumping. 


The author's comments:

This piece is how I feel about golf and what it means to me.