An Open Letter to the High School Senior Athletes | Teen Ink

An Open Letter to the High School Senior Athletes

By reagansears99 BRONZE, CINCINNATI, Ohio
reagansears99 BRONZE, CINCINNATI, Ohio

It’s finally here- the year you’ve been waiting for. Four years you gotten up at 6am for those early morning practices, pushed yourself passed your limit with those 200 meter sprints, cancelled plans for reviewing those plays over and over again. You’ve been through every up and every down and somehow you blinked and your final season is coming to an end. Nothing is ever going to replace the bond you have with your teammates. The way you ran to hug them after the winning goal was scored, cried with them after a tough loss, and then someone went through a horrible time in their life and you were there for them every step of the way. Take in the next moment you are standing in a huddle together because that final game that seems weeks away is a lot closer than you think. Take in the little things like the pregame cha-cha slides, the excitement you hear from your mom cheering in the stands, or team dinners at each other's houses. Take the time to love the people and moments surrounding you because if you haven’t noticed already, time really does fly by. Take every opportunity possible and leave a legacy like no other. It is so crazy to believe those annoying underclassmen were once you confused on the field and now look at you- leaders, role models, winners. Work harder than you ever have before because this is it.  Give it your all and achieve something you never thought was possible because pretty soon you won’t be wearing that old dirty jersey that went weeks without being washed. Prove yourself to those college scouts sitting in those metal stands, challenge yourself like you never have before, and do your best because you are the best. Cherish every second, good or bad, together because once you realize those days are gone, you can’t get them back. Say thank you to your coaches, teachers, and family because they have been with you since day one. Follow your dreams and never be afraid to step up because you are a leader.