Christian Pulisic: America's Next Big Athlete

He swiftly runs ahead of the defensive players and leaves them looking like fools. Another defensive player comes at him, but he cuts around him. It’s as though the ball is tied to his feet… until he strikes it into the goal. The crowd goes wild, and soon… they begin chanting his name: “Chris-tian!” “Chris-tian!” “Chris-tian!”

At only 18 years of age, Christian Pulisic is already one of the youngest players to represent the United States on the senior national team in a World Cup Qualifier. He made his first debut on the team on March 29, 2016, in a 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifying game against Guatemala (which ended in a 4-0 win for the U.S)  upon being called two days earlier by coach Jurgen Klinsmann.

Christian Mate Pulisic was born to Kelley and Mark Pulisic on September 18, 1998, in Hershey, Derry Township, Pennsylvania. Christian began playing soccer at the young age of seven, in the youth team of Brackley Town, while living in England for a year. In the mid-2000’s, Christian and his family returned to the U.S and lived in Michigan for a while. When his father, Mark Pulisic, was the general manager of the indoor soccer club, Detroit Ignition, Christian played for Michigan Rush. After the family returned to Hershey, Pennsylvania, Pulisic grew up playing for the local youth club, Pennsylvania Classics, as well as sometimes training with local professional club, Harrisburg City Islanders during his early teen years.

It wasn’t until the beginning of 2016 that Christian began reaching his first potential. On January 4, 2016, coach Thomas Tuchel called Christian up to the top-flight German team of Borussia Dortmund. Christian was more than excited to join the prestigious team. He announced on his Twitter account ahead of time: “Honored to say that I’ll be playing for Borussia Dortmund! Can’t wait for this new journey!”

Although others have harshly criticized Christian Pulisic, he has the full potential of accomplishing what U.S star Landon Donovan has accomplished… and maybe even more. He is an extraordinary and charming teenager that has an amazing personality that is capable of doing anything. Christian is like anyone else his age: he’s a Belieber, he loves his family, and has even dabbed in public. At only 18 years of age, Christian has yet so much to accomplish. For now, he is a star shining bright waiting to nova… and become America’s big athlete.