Football vs. Baseball | Teen Ink

Football vs. Baseball

March 13, 2009
By Anonymous

'Baseball is what we were; football is what we have become' (Mary McGory). Both baseball and football are very popular American sports. Both sports can be played at any age. Both sports have a college league, a professional league called the NFL for football and the for baseball's is the MLB, and a league for kids. Baseball is called the all American sport. Many Americans enjoy watching both sports. Although football and baseball are two phenomenal sports, they also have many similarities and differences.

The sports football and baseball are alike in many ways. Both sports have a playoff/tournament system for later in the season which involves the teams with the best records in their conference. The playoff system of football and baseball is set up as a bracket in which two teams play each other until there are two teams left. These two teams then play in the Championship game. Football's championship game is known as the Super Bowl and baseball's is known as the World Series. Lastly Both football and baseball are team sports. They both have several positions that the players are assigned to. Also both sports have a ball that gets thrown to other players. There are many similarities in football and baseball.

Football and baseball also have many differences. They are played at different times of the year. Football is played in the fall and baseball is played in the spring. Also the amount of contact that is involved in both sports is different because pads are not used pads in baseball and in football there are pads. These pads change the amount of contact players have. Football has only eleven players allowed on the field at one time and baseball only allows nine. Also a football is kicked and thrown, while a baseball can only be thrown. Also Football and baseball both have rules that must be followed. In football there are referees and in baseball there are umpires. A referee travels all over the field, calling penalties, determining if the player ran or caught the ball out of bounds, and determining picked up the fumble. On the other hand a umpire stays in one spot of the ball diamond, watches where the ball goes, and if the player was tagged with the ball and the home plate. In football players only receive a penalty for not following the rules, while in baseball not following the rules results in an ejection from the game.

These two phenomenal sports baseball and football have many similarities and differences. Football and baseball have many similarities such as what type of sports they are, the playoffs later in both seasons, type of field they are played on, and the age you can start to play these sports. But they also have many differences. For instance, how long each game is, the time of year that t hey are played in, and the amount of contact that is allowed. A season of football or baseball is a season to remember.

The author's comments:
I wrote this piece for my L.A. class.