Head Explosion | Teen Ink

Head Explosion

By ashcash2002 BRONZE, Trenton, New Jersey
ashcash2002 BRONZE, Trenton, New Jersey

It was a wonderful Sunday afternoon at White Oak Park, the sun is out and it’s 65 degrees, it’s a perfect day for soccer.  We had just begun warming up for my game when all of the sudden out of nowhere a ball came straight at my face. My head whipped back and I immediately fell to the ground. My soccer team came over to see if okay but I was afraid and turned around crying. Of course none of my coaches saw me get hit and my dad who is one of them. The worst part was the game hadn't even started yet. My dad handed me a cold ice pack where I placed it on the spot where the soccer ball had hit.

“Are you okay”, my friend Nicole asked. She was the one who accidently hit me with the ball.

“I'm fine I think I just feel a bit nauseous.” My stomach was doing twists and turns and I thought I might puke all over the bench.

At this point I knew I was going to be ok but the thought of having a concussion worried me. My head was throbbing as I held the ice pack to my head. I just wanted to go home and lay down. The game finally started after what felt like an hour. I sat on the bench wanting to play because I was so bored. My coach/dad wouldn’t let me go in the game but that was actually a good thing. The game finally ended after an hour and a half. At least my stomach felt better by the end of the game, but my head still hurt pretty bad.

My mom came over to see if I was okay after the game. I told her that I was fine. Honestly I thought I would be able to go to school the next day but I was wrong.

“Mom, Nicole and I still have to finish our science project”, I said.

“Ashleigh I don’t think you should, considering you might have a concussion”.
“You’re right,” I responded kinda disappointed.

I went in my room and layed down still having a headache. Then, while in my room I heard a doorbell.
“Ashleigh, Nicole’s here!”

I rushed downstairs almost falling over myself. She had brought me frozen falls and apologized about hitting me with the ball in the head. Nicole asked if I wanted to come over and work on the project. My mom told me I could go over her house for an hour. My dad didn't really want me to go over her house because he was worried about my head. I still went over anyway.

An hour later I came home and my head hurt really bad now. I now knew that thinking made my head hurt even more. I laid down on the couch and took a nap. I woke up ate dinner and went to bed.

The next morning was a school morning and I woke up with a really bad, throbbing headache. My parents decided to take me to the doctors to have me checked out. I barely was able to get out of bed because I was so tired and didn’t want to go. After 30 minutes of driving to the doctors we finally arrived. When we got there the lion king was on the tv for the kids waiting. I still love that movie so, I watched it as I waited for the doctor to call us in. They said they couldn’t get us in for an hour but we waited anyway. After what felt like an eternity, they finally called us in.

The doctor asked me a bunch of questions. Like what happened? Or how do you feel right now? None of those questioned mattered to me but the thing that she told us next did. The doctor told me I had a concussion. Also that I  would be out of soccer and any contact for two weeks or longer if I still have a headache. I couldn't believe that I would be out for so long. I felt really depressed for the rest of the day but I knew I just had to get better as soon as possible. That is if I wanted to play right after the two weeks were up.

Two weeks have passed and I’m still not back fully playing soccer. I can now play for a little bit and I’m back to gym. Well I hope I don’t get another concussion anytime soon or ever. I learned that to always appreciate family because they are the ones that helped me when I got my concussion.