The Journey | Teen Ink

The Journey

It was that day, the u16 division 1 finals for our league. My grandpa said that there was going to be a scout there so I would have to try my hardest. Ever since I was young all I wanted to be was a professional soccer player. With this scout coming it could be the start of it all. So I new on the field I had to give it my all. My best friend Canziano Giachetti also played with me. We were called the dynamic duo by my grandpa. This could also be the start of his career also. We both grew up in a poor town in Italy so making it pro would help out both of our families. Later that day we showed up to the field and saw the scout talking to my grandpa. This could be the day we got recruited we thought. As the game slowly came we both got even more nervous but we new what we had to do. 

The kick off was here and suddenly the nerves went away and I was in my zone. The game finally started and right from the beginning I knew this was going to be the hardest game so far. Not only because they were a great team but because we had lost to them in the regular season. So my team thought there was no way we could beat them. The half came and It was still 0-0, this gave hope to our team. It was the second half in the final minute of the game everyone thought it was going to a penalty shootout. But I had something different in mind. It was our last chance to score of the game and Canziano passed me the ball outside the box, I shot it. It looked like it was all in slow motion as the ball soared to the upper right corner. I couldn't believe it as the ref blew the whistle. I had just won the u16 division 1 finals for our team. Later that day our team went to eat at McDonalds. As Canziano and I were eating our big macs the scout came to us and said he would like us to come to the exit trials. It was the best day of my life.

The exit trials came a week later and my grandpa took me and Canziano to them in London, England. This is where some of the best players in the world have trained. As we were walking into the training facility we saw loads of young talent that would be joining us in the exit trials. We saw kids from Real Madrid Academy, Arsenal Academy, and also Juventus Academy. The start of the exit trials was only one hour away and I could feel the pressure building up inside me. How the exit trials work, there are three rounds of training and each round you will be graded on how well you do. Once all three rounds are done you will be given a place. You have to be in the top ten to get a pro contract. The time finally came around. We went into our first drill, a possession game Canziano and I were on the same team so we knew how we both worked so we did extraordinary on the first trial. Then we went into the second trial right away which was a 45 minute game. This time we were both on different teams. During the match I scored and got and assist. Canziano also got two assists. When the second trial was done we got a five minute water break. We went back for our final trial, which was an endurance trial. You had to run up and down the field as much times as you could. The more you got the better. I got the third most with 67 and Canziano got seventh place with 59.

When the trials finished I got fifth place and Canziano got seventh place. This meant that we had a really good chance of going pro. A day later Canziano and I both got emails from head coach of Arsenal, Arsene Wenger. He wanted both of us to sign for Arsenal. This was the best day of my life. That same week Canziano and I went to meet with him and sure enough we both got a contract. He told us to come next week ready for practice. The next week rolled around and we weren't use to a having to practice everyday. But we realized this is now our job and we have to be ready everyday. Two weeks later Coach Wenger talked to Canziano and I and told us we were ready to play in the next week against Chelsea. At first we thought he was joking, but we he wasn't. The game was only three days away so we had to not only physically prepare but mentally too. After Coach Wenger told us about playing I told all my family members to watch the game.

Three days went by in a flash. We were only hours away from playing against our rivals Chelsea. As I was warming up I saw Chelsea coach Antonio Conte go up to Canziano and say something but I couldn't really hear. After that happened the game was about to start and my nerves were building up. As the game started I went up to Canziano and asked him what the Chelsea coach asked him. He said nothing. The first half came to an end and the game was all tied up at 1-1. We went inside for halftime and Coach Wenger went up to Canziano and I and told us we were going to start at half time. I thought to myself, if do good and make an impression I could maybe start next game. Which was in the Champions League final against our rivals Chelsea again. The second half started and I was in the game and ready to play. There was now only 10 minutes left in the game and it was still 1-1. If we wanted to win we would have to go all out attack. We did and right as we did Canziano passed me the ball on the wing, I crossed it into Theo Walcott and he headed in the top right corner. That was the best moment of my life. The last ten minutes went by and nothing happened, we won 2-1.

Later that day as I was walking into the locker room after taking a shower I saw Canziano storm out and say, “I'm done here, signing with this club was the worst decision I made.” I went up to him and asked him what's this about. He told me that they weren't paying him enough and that he was going to our rivals Chelsea. He told me the only reason he stayed around me was because my grandpa had connections. This was probably what he was talking about with the Chelsea head coach. I couldn't believe it. The next time we would be seeing each other would be on the field in the Champions League final match against Chelsea. The next few weeks have been the hardest I've ever practiced because when we play them I want to destroy them. Coach Wenger called me into his office one day before the game and told me I'm going to start. That's exactly what I wanted to here.

The first time I saw Canziano since he left was when we were walking out of the stadium onto the field. We were both starting that game against each other. I wanted to destroy their team and this was the perfect chance. The game was about to start and Canziano came up to me and said, “I was always the better one out of us two.” I didn't say anything, I was going to let my skills do the talking. The ref blew the whistle and the game had started. Canziano was marking me up top. Twenty minutes go by and nothing has happened until I get played the ball then play it out wide to Sanchez and he crosses it in. I headed it into the bottom left corner. The crowd was going wild, they were all chanting ARSENAL! ARSENAL! ARSENAL! The half ended twenty five minutes later and we had to keep up what we are doing if we want to win. The second half started and Chelsea had a corner kick. They crossed it in and this time Canziano headed it into the goal. All I heard this time was CHELSEA! CHELSEA! CHELSEA! I did not like hearing that. The game was almost over and there was two minutes of extra time and Theo Walcott got fouled in the box so it was a penalty shot. Coach wanted me to take it. I did and I went straight in the middle and scored to win. The ref blew the whistle and the game was over.

This was my new favorite moment ever. When the game ended Canziano came up to me and said good game. I said the same thing. A few days after the game Canziano called me and asked if I wanted to hang out. He said he was sorry about everything he did and I apologized also. He told me he was coming back to Arsenal and we could be the dynamic duo again. I couldn't believe it the dynamic duo was back in town.

It is about soccer.