The Play | Teen Ink

The Play

October 18, 2016
By tjmcclain BRONZE, Battle Creek, Michigan
tjmcclain BRONZE, Battle Creek, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

An event that has happened in my life that is a good memory of my childhood, is when I was young about nine or ten years old going into 4th grade we were scrimmaging the other football team, because there is two pennfield schools that have grades k-4. I got the ball on a quick pitch and started  running to the open field, sprinting past the defenders with great blocks by my linemen and the other running backs. I could see the open field, I could taste the end zone getting closer and closer.

We haven’t scored all scrimmage and the other team was by far better than us and scoring this touchdown would be a huge boost of energy and excitement for my team. It all felt like slow motion as I broke away from the defense feeling the adrenaline running through my body, but out of the corner of my eye I saw a defender running at me, of course it was their best and most aggressive defender Kollin Kemerling. I tried my hardest to outrun him but he was just too fast, then Kollin caught up to me and tackled me right before I could reach the end zone, and the ball got jammed in between my arm and ribs and as soon as I hit the ground I heard a “snap.” I just thought it was the sound of pads cracking together so I just went back to the huddle.

But when I got back my arm was in agonizing pain, I thought it was broken, I remember Sam and Colyn trying to move my arm but my body wouldn’t let it happen. I couldn’t even lift it or even move it.  But I didn’t know it was broken so I just sat out the rest of the scrimmage and my coach said, “The bone is probably just bruised you will be ok soon.” So that’s what I told my parents, and after the scrimmage it was still killing me to even think about moving it. Then the next three days I stayed home and tried to strengthen it but every day the pain was unbearable I couldn’t even sleep. So my mom finally took me in to the doctor and the X-ray proved that it snapped right under my shoulder, but not all the way through. My mom started crying and was really sad because she waited three days to take me in. So I got a cast and was not able to play football for the rest of the season. I remember going to all the games and wishing I could get in and play with all my friends and help my team win games.


The author's comments:

I was inspired by this piece because it changed my veiw on life.