Race for the Ring | Teen Ink

Race for the Ring

October 12, 2016
By DaltonO BRONZE, Alvord, Texas
DaltonO BRONZE, Alvord, Texas
2 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
Baseball is like a poker game. Nobody wants to quit when he's losing; nobody wants you to quit when you're ahead.


In Major League Baseball, the Texas Rangers and the Chicago Cubs are the two top teams in the league, and they both with a bad history when it comes to the World Series; however, this could be the year they come back with a title.


Early in the season, the Rangers were not doing so good, but they later acquired some new players that really helped them earn a spot in the playoffs. Players Jonathan Lucroy from the Milwaukee Brewers, Carlos Beltran from the New York Yankees, and Carlos Gomez from the Houston Astros have been a huge reason for the team’s recent success. The Rangers were also able for some of their own players to become healthy and come off the disabled list to help the rally. Some of these players were Yu Darvish, Tony Barnette, Colby Lewis, and Shin Soo Choo.

Unfortunately, Prince Fielder, the slugging first baseman and D.H., retired due to neck injuries. In the 2015 season, Manager Jeff Banister led the team to a A.L. West Division title, but they later were defeated by the Toronto Blue Jays. The Rangers Ball Club has never won a World Series title, but they hope that this year they will finally crack the record books.


The Chicago Cubs have been at the top of the leaderboard for the majority of the season along with the best record of the season. Some of their key players this year have been Jon Lester, Anthony Rizzo, Jake Arrieta, and David Ross. Their Manager, Joe Maddon, led the team to a Wild Card last year, but were later defeated by the New York Mets in the Division Series. The Cubs had a wide variety of stats this year, and some of their team stats were good like having the best pitching; however, some of those stats were not good at all. They had the fourteenth best hitting and ninth to last in fielding. Some of their players have been on the disabled list and won’t be back for the rest of the year. Some of these are Jason Hammel and Kyle Schwarber. The Cubs have longed for a World Series title since 1908, but they hope that after a century that they can finally get a win in the World Series this year.
The Rangers and the Cubs might not have a good World Series reputation, but when October rolls around nobody knows what can happen.


The author's comments:

I was intrigued to write this passage because of my love of the sport and because my favorite team was a part of the postseason. When people read this, I hope that they will statrt to understand how fun baseball can be.