The Hill | Teen Ink

The Hill

June 22, 2016
By AliciaMarzolf DIAMOND, Cupertino, California
AliciaMarzolf DIAMOND, Cupertino, California
97 articles 0 photos 1 comment

The merciless sun blazed against my exposed neck, blistering my skin into pink ham. Beads of sweat rolled into my eyes and stung my cracked lips. I gasped for breath. I was already dying, but my hike had only just begun.
   

Ahead of me, a monstrous hill loomed like a titan’s castle, ominous and gigantic. It was at least one hundred feet tall, and its steep incline seemed treacherous. Bracing myself, I took a deep breath and began my ascent.
   

The first thing I noticed was just how slippery the hill was. Gravel tumbled down the slope like a rocky waterfall, trying to drag me down with it. My feet skittered. This could be the end: one wrong step, and I would fall crashing down to the hill’s base. But, I shouldered my fears and pressed on.
   

My legs soon turned to rubber. With throbbing feet, aching knees, and a shaking body, I found it hard to continue. The top of the hill seemed miles away, although in reality it was only a few strides above me. My strength was leaking out of me like water from a colander. Almost there… almost…
   

I reached the top of the hill and immediately collapsed onto my knees, exhausted. Despite the boiling heat, my body shivered, fatigued and drenched in sweat. But I had made it! Using my last bit of reserve, I pushed my aching body upright and stood tall and proud. I had done it. I had conquered the hill. Now, I could do anything.