The Hill | Teen Ink

The Hill

By AliciaMarzolf DIAMOND, Cupertino, California
AliciaMarzolf DIAMOND, Cupertino, California

The merciless sun blazed against my exposed neck, blistering my skin into pink ham. Beads of sweat rolled into my eyes and stung my cracked lips. I gasped for breath. I was already dying, but my hike had only just begun.

Ahead of me, a monstrous hill loomed like a titan’s castle, ominous and gigantic. It was at least one hundred feet tall, and its steep incline seemed treacherous. Bracing myself, I took a deep breath and began my ascent.

The first thing I noticed was just how slippery the hill was. Gravel tumbled down the slope like a rocky waterfall, trying to drag me down with it. My feet skittered. This could be the end: one wrong step, and I would fall crashing down to the hill’s base. But, I shouldered my fears and pressed on.

My legs soon turned to rubber. With throbbing feet, aching knees, and a shaking body, I found it hard to continue. The top of the hill seemed miles away, although in reality it was only a few strides above me. My strength was leaking out of me like water from a colander. Almost there… almost…

I reached the top of the hill and immediately collapsed onto my knees, exhausted. Despite the boiling heat, my body shivered, fatigued and drenched in sweat. But I had made it! Using my last bit of reserve, I pushed my aching body upright and stood tall and proud. I had done it. I had conquered the hill. Now, I could do anything.