An Interview with Coach John Mastin | Teen Ink

An Interview with Coach John Mastin

February 25, 2009
By Brandon Lyons BRONZE, Charlestown, Indiana
Brandon Lyons BRONZE, Charlestown, Indiana
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Brandon: When was your first year coaching for Charlestown?

Mastin: 1971; I was a graduate form the Ball State University where I played football.

Brandon: What years did you coach through?

Mastin: The years 1971 through 2003.

Brandon: What was your best season?

Mastin: The 1989 season; we were undefeated and went to the semi-state game. We finished the year at 12-1.

Brandon: Who are some of your favorite players that you coached?

Mastin: (Laughs) All of them. Anybody willing to work is my favorite.

Brandon: What do you think of the football program now?

Mastin: We have a good, young coach in Jason Hawkins. He really turned the team around in the 2007-2008 season. (10-1; undefeated regular season.) Hes done a great job with the kids and has an excellent running program, (Laughs)and he still lets me hang out on the sidelines every game.

Brandon: Do you miss coaching?

Mastin: Of course I do. I have a lot of memories from coaching, and I loved every second of it.

Brandon: Would you coach again if you had the opportunity?

Mastin: No, I had my time to shine for 33 years. Other people would gladly take the job.

The author's comments:
John Mastin is a retired head football coach from Charlestown High School. He is now a P.E. and weightlifting teacher.