The Jump | Teen Ink

The Jump

By CJgarcia BRONZE, San Antonio, Texas
CJgarcia BRONZE, San Antonio, Texas

It was always easy for me to skateboard. Wind blowing through my hair, cruising down the street, and jumping on and off curbs. I found joy in skating with my best friend Robert, getting kicked out of places, and just having fun.

“Look” Robert said with excitement one day as we seized it with our favorite pastime. “Wha-“I asked when I realized what it was. I was petrified and full with fear. It was a three stair set with a handrail that seemed like it would eat me alive if I attempted to Ollie off, which was what Robert was going to do, and he was a master at that.

He was “the skater” and I was “the filmer” which meant I filmed whatever stunt he did. I was superior at that, but at the root of my heart, it bothered me that day, that he was better than I. Then it hit me. “ CJ,” I told myself, “Do the three stair. You will then not be known as the filmer anymore.” “Genius, all I have to do is the monstrous three stair, and then I will earn the respect I deserve,” I thought.

First I tried rolling off, but my board just did a half turn, causing me to land on the back side of my board. I fell. Trying and re-trying I finally gave in and decided to watch Robert to see what I could. “How do you do that, man!?” I exclaimed. “Watch me again” he said. Then, I saw what he did that I failed to do. I felt so stupid. He ollied and I didn’t. All I had to do was pop the board, slide my foot up and land. It was truly simple.

Unfortunately, I couldn’t perfect it no matter what I did. I had my Ollies down,
just not a three stair. That night I slept on it, and then, at 7:00 in the morning I called Robert and we went. “Something clicked, I feel like I’m going to land.” I admitted to Robert.  “Dude, don’t worry. Just do it. I got the camera.” said Robert. I was determined, and I knew I had to commit. I didn’t overthink and just did it.

I looked down and everything seemed to go inreality. I could count 10 seconds before I landed, but it was only 5 seconds. Pop…slide…jump, then I landed on my board. I wasn’t used to the shock, so I slipped out. Even though I slammed, I got back up and tried again. After about 30 tries, drenched in sweat, and exhausted. I felt this next time was going to be the time I landed. Pop, slide, jump then boom, I landed on my board and rolled away. “Yes!” I screamed with all my might. I never felt so accomplished in my entire life.

I tried again and landed. “Two to be true” was my motto that day which means doing it twice means reality. I learned if you don’t give up, and fight through the obstacles, you can accomplish anything.