Personal Narrative | Teen Ink

Personal Narrative

By ED123 BRONZE, Auburn, New York
ED123 BRONZE, Auburn, New York

Basketball is a game of strategy, hustle, and skill. If you can’t handle the pressure, with defenders on your grill, and fans judging every action you make, then it’s not the game for you. I still remember the shot, the float, and the net diving sideways as the ball went in the rim. What a moment, as if it won’t happen again.

I was having a great game, fourteen points, and 3 assists in that first half, working my way to a double double. I was four for four in the first half from the three point arch. I eventually cooled off in the second half, and my team was down by 5 with a minute and some to go. As the clock dwindled down, I knew I needed to hit a big shot. Thirty seconds left… I turned the ball over. They came down and hit a clutch layup. Down by 1 now I knew we would win this game, I got the ball and went to the rack. I heard the whistle… Foul, two shots. I made one of the two to tie up the game. They came down with 15 seconds left and took a bad shot, I got the rebound and the game was in my hands. It was win or go home, I felt the sweat dripping onto me and the ball, the fans on the edge of their seats.

I took a few dribbles and passed the ball, my AAU team was a patient offensive team. We swung the ball around the perimeter, and it came back to me. Eight seconds left I need to hit the shot. I took two dribbles left, and then my man came up to guard me, I gave him a crossover, and he was well off balanced. I basically fell, and I drove baseline, the clock was at two seconds. I saw a big man stepping up to contest my shot, I knew I had to be creative. I saw him ready to jump so I did a floater. I floated the ball high enough, so that it just went over his fingertips. The ball went off the rim, bounced twice, and went in. The buzzer sounded and we had won the game. I could feel the adrenaline and emotion from me and my team. I could see the blood, sweat, and tears from my team and the BC Bolts left on the court. What a moment, what a time, what a performance, what a win.

After the win, I looked back at what had happened, and it was an unbelievable experience, I can still feel the vibration of the voices going of the wall and the electricity in the air, formed by our fans. I can still hear the buzzer going off, as the red numbers went to zero. I also can remember my teammates jumping on me in joy and to see there faces in excitement.. and my family who were excited as well. It was the best feeling in the world.

The love for the game of basketball and an interest in writing

jakespaniak said...
jakespaniak, West Chester, Pennsylvania
This narrative is very well written. I enjoy the use of new slang that is sprinkled in like "grill". Also the amount of figurative language in this piece is perfect for the flow of the story. You made your memory go on for longer than i would expect but I feel that is was a good addition because of the extra suspense it creates. I could feel the emotion and the atmosphere in the game. good job.