My First Dirt Bike | Teen Ink

My First Dirt Bike

January 20, 2016
By mikepidlypchak BRONZE, Auburn, New York
mikepidlypchak BRONZE, Auburn, New York
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

When I was 9 my dad bought me a green dirtbike. It was a fun little machine to have. Dirt Bikes are dangerous, but just as much fun.


On Easter of 2004 my Dad decided to get me a green Kawasaki ninja dirt bike. I think that it was a 50cc but I can’t really remember. He also made me a decent size track in our side yard. My neighbor had a track in the woods that was pretty big, so I used to ride back there and at my house. My dad always had a dirt bike or motorcycle and he knows alot about them. He and I would go outside and ride it for hours. He always enjoyed teaching me things to help me be a good rider. I used to have a lot of fun on it.


When I got to be around the age of six he would let me ride around the yard without him being right there to watch my every move. I was actually a pretty good rider for my age. The only thing was when I rode with my dad, I never had to wear gloves, because my mom didn’t worry as much. Then when I started riding alone she bought me a pair of gloves to wear when I rode. My dad always told me to not wear them because he said they were too thick and I wouldn’t be able to feel the brake, but if my mom saw me without them  she would tell me togo and put them on. Then one day when my dad wasn’t home I was riding my dirt bike and was wearing the gloves and made a wide turn and crashed into our shed. I was ok in the long run, but it happened so fast and the sound of the wood crunching and breaking scared me. The sound was very loud and sounded like a giant had just posterized an entire forest. I only had a scrape or two and was bruised up a little, but it wasn’t anything serious. My mom made a big deal out of it and I was too afraid to ride it anymore. We kept it for another year or so because my dad still would take my little brother on it. So the last year we had it my grandpa decided to go and buy me a Polaris fourwheeler. I used to ride it around the track that my dad made for me and on my neighbor’s dirt track.

That same year my parents bought us some property out in Montezuma. We own 36 acres of land and have a big open 8 acre field where my dad made me an even bigger, and better track to ride on. This one had a jump build into it and my dad got me to ride my dirtbike one last time on it and I ended up crashing on the jump. When I went to go ride it back to the garage we built out there I got flung over the handlebars and ran over by it because I accidentally hit the front brake too hard.


Dirt bikes are a lot of fun to ride. They also can be very dangerous. When you are six years old and you crash on one you may be afraid to ride oneDirt bikes are a lot of fun to ride. They also can be very dangerous. When you are six years old and you crash on one you may be afraid to ride one