Miracle on the Field | Teen Ink

Miracle on the Field

By Nick44 BRONZE, Arlington Heights, Illinois
Nick44 BRONZE, Arlington Heights, Illinois

I was sitting in the living room with my parents, watching the cubs game. Usually on Sundays I don't watch the whole game but something about this game made me watch it from the beginning. I had this feeling that I was about to watch something special. I got a call from my brother he asked me, "Are you watching the game", "of course I am," I said with excitement. It was a night game at the beautiful Wrigley Field against a great Conference rival, the Los Angeles Dodgers. Jake Arrieta was on the mound pitching against the Dodgers Alex wood, it was August 30th 2015, a date I will never forget. Before this date Jake had been pitching lights out, he was 17-3 pitching some of the best baseball I had ever seen.

Looking like a bearded Greek God, Jake walked onto the mound in the bottom of the first inning. The first inning went by in normal Jake Arrieta style, he went three up three down and then in the second out of the second inning, Enrique Hernandez swung his brown Louisville Slugger, hitting the ball with "Smack" hard at shortstop Starlin Castro, he fumbled the ball and Enrique made it to first, I saw it and I thought it would end the possibility of a no hitter, but then the camera zoomed to the big green scoreboard and a big white E was placed on it (signifying a error by Castro) and keeping the no hitter intact. My dad looked at me and said "man that was a close one," I replied "I feel like we just got away with something." After that moment, Jake was as flawless as a new diamond. He had incredible velocity the entire game, he was throwing the ball a thousand miles per hour. As I was sitting on my couch I was taking it all in. I knew that I was experiencing greatness by the time the 9th inning went around. Jake had just one more batter to face, and to end the game and etch himself into baseball history Jake struck him out. Completing his no hitter.

I have a love for sports and baseball, especially the Chicago Cubs.  Watching Jakes no hiter was life changing.