The Double Comeback | Teen Ink

The Double Comeback

By Jdaise BRONZE, Aiea, Hawaii
Jdaise BRONZE, Aiea, Hawaii

Making shots right and left. Flying through defenders five plays straight, I was impossible to stop. Finally, my turn to lock down my defender. It's game point and if they score this point they win the game. I look my defender in the eyes and he makes his first move to the right, his first step is quick and beats me to the basket. Suddenly stopping at the basket to pump fake and get me in the air. Jumping with all my might to block the shot having hang time for at least 3 seconds and getting the block would change my views towards basketball? I don't regret it sometimes, but if I could take back that block shot for the win I would in any second..

As I landed, I stepped on my opponents foot with a fully extended knee and an ankle twisted past the limits anyone could handle. Instantly, I knew something was wrong, but I am a stubborn athlete. Telling myself I was alright, getting back up, walking around on it so I could get back to action. My adrenaline pumping with no ceiling I thought I was fine and it was a little tweak, then suddenly my leg locked and I couldn't move it. Sitting out for the rest of the game worried, scared that I wouldn't be able to play for a while. Devastation came upon me when I heard the bad news.

Partially tearing my LCL (Lateral collateral ligament) and fracturing my patella I knew I was injured and out for a while, but I didn't expect for it to be that long. When the doctor told me I would be out for four months my heart sunk in my stomach slowly. I didn't know how to feel all I did was cry, sobbing trying to figure out how I am going to handle this.

After the months dragged by slowly, rehab was something that I took seriously. Everyday I went in there on a mission and no one was getting in my way. Working out and advancing through my workouts faster then anyone they've had before. Shockingly, my first test scores were so good that they cleared me for jogging  and I built up from that. Day by day I got better, faster then I was before, legs felt stronger then a race horse. The results felt good and it showed that my hard work and my results increased day by day. Rehab was tiring don't get me wrong, some days tired from school, staying late hours to finish up things. It was a struggle at times but I got used to rehab. I appreciated it so much that I knew it would pay off in the long run.

Three minutes left in the fourth quarter coming down the court looking to post up on my defender. At a blank of an eye I'm down on the ground in misery. I felt a crack in my right foot and when I went down, I knew I was done for the season. Injured three weeks after just finally getting cleared from my knee injury.  I could care less how I felt physically I was crying because I couldn't finish the game for my team. Everyone coming up to me saying "You will be fine bro, I will pray for you." It was comforting but I didn't know what to expect I just assumed the worst, and that's what I got.

Not even being able to put pressure on it when I was walking in the doctors I was scared. I feared exactly what happen to me. I had a Jones Stress Fracture on my right foot and I had to sit out 4 months. The doctor after seeing the X-Ray put me in a boot and told me to wear that at all times and walk on crutches also. This one hurt me more then the last one but I told myself I would stay positive and always work hard to get better everyday. That attitude is what paid it all off.

As the season went by I got stronger and worked on the little things I could do. Taking at least an hour each night to stretch, do push ups and sit ups. Finally, towards the end of the school year I was cleared and it was perfect timing because I had time to work out and get the rust off. Basketball had my eye from the start and it always will have one but I felt like it changed my life.

In all honesty, I'm happy I went through that phase in life. It changed my life honestly. The long months of sitting, thinking, wondering all came to a conclusion. Those long months made me realize what I really wanted in life. It made me realize that I didn't even want to play basketball in college. Going through school not playing basketball made me realize I had more fun without sports.Those moments in my life made me realize that basketball isn't everything. Those life changes moments opened up my mind and let me know that there just more to it. Being hooked with something in life is hard to let go. But going through life changing moments is just life. I don't regret going through it sometimes, but if I could take that blocked shot for the win I would in any second, because sometimes I wonder where I would be if I didn't jump for it.