Paquiao and Mayweather | Teen Ink

Paquiao and Mayweather

By Live4jc PLATINUM, Pensacola, Florida
Live4jc PLATINUM, Pensacola, Florida

That man is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose-Jim Elliot

When I watched Manny Paquiao and Floyd Mayweather on TV, it felt like the world was waiting in suspense to see the outcome of what was happening. Two major boxing champions were fighting to determine who was the best. I have to admit, most of my family and friends were biased toward Paquiao—we met him once during one of our visits to where he lives in General Santos, Philippines, and we even named our dog after him.

Mayweather won.

People didn't seem too pleased. I hear the crowd surrounding the ring the ring as they booed and ironically, people cheered for Paquiao as he exited, even though he’d lost.

I’m not writing this to say that I wish one or the other had won the competition. To tell you the truth, even though Paquiao is talented and he’s worked hard to become who he is today, I think he cares more about seeing Mayweather come to know Jesus. Paquiao knows where he stands—he also knows God is not going to tumble off His throne if he looses. But it’s clear to anyone who has seen Mayweather’s attitude that he has some issues in his life, even though he’s also very talented.

Fame is fleeting. People love you one day, but money and popularity can’t save you from death. Only Jesus can do that, like He’s done for Manny Paquiao and the lives of many others.

My prayer, more than anything, is that God would change Mayweather’s heart and radically transform him from and insecure man into someone God can use. I say ‘insecure’ because pride is always a cover, a shield for something that’s going on deeper in a person’s heart—whether it’s fear, shame or something else.

God cares more about our long-term plans for eternity than He is about how much money or popularity we acquire in this life. I hope that when Mayweather looks at Paquiao when they meet that he doesn’t just see another champion boxer or opponent—I pray that he sees the attitude of Jesus in him.

We really did get a chance to meet Manny Paquiao. Actually it was kind of accidental, but my younger brother Jonathan went up and prayed for him when we were at some lunch that I think at least several churches in General Santos were a part of. So yeah, we were kind of biased when the fight took place(: