A Pain in the Knee | Teen Ink

A Pain in the Knee

By maddiegaddodi BRONZE, BURNLEY, Other
maddiegaddodi BRONZE, BURNLEY, Other

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

I have only recently become interested in sports. About a year ago I was diagnosed with scoliosis (curvature of the spine) and I have always had troubles with my ankles, legs and knees... Then I read on the internet about how ballet and yoga could help strengthen your body so I downloaded a free yoga app and enrolled in ballet lessons in the dance school I went to when I was a with the same teacher too!

I went to ballet classes once a week and did yoga every day and I was getting stronger and stronger. I was getting flexible too, I could get my hands under my feet without even bending my legs and could do the splits as well.

Then, two days ago, everything changed. I was doing simple lunges and the next thing I knew there was a loud crash, a was in lots of pain, and I was on the floor. I looked down at my left knee and it looked as though I had two knees instead of one. Immediately I knew it was dislocated...

Four hours and hospital visit later I was back at home. I had a huge cast from my ankle to upper thigh and two crutches. I couldn't move my leg at all.

In fact, I still can't and I have been in bed ever since (other than hobbling with difficulty and pain to the toilet). I hate it so much! I have gone from pirouetting around the house to laying down constantly.  Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I can't dwell on the past I just have to make the best of things now. Even if it does mean catching up on TV and reading. As the saying goes "You never know what you have until you lose it", and in my case I can safely say that I should have made the most of bending my knee and walking without 2 crutches.

Maybe it would have happened sooner if I hadn't taken up sports though, but it's hard to tell!

"I had never been in so much pain in my whole life!"