Hockey in California | Teen Ink

Hockey in California

It was a wet, cold, and stormy day. The kind of day where all you want to do is sit there and stare out the window. But instead two teams were about to come out of the locker room, for one of the biggest games of their lives. It was a perfect example of a stressful sports atmosphere, except this wasn’t just any sport, this was outdoor hockey. When the teams came out, you could see the glittering of the ice with the hint of golden sunlight that was left, the numbers on the back of all the players jerseys. As the loud and proud crowd of the home team roared with excitement, watching their team skate onto the ice, the visitors silently walked out. If it weren’t for the whole stadium full of people screaming for their team, it would’ve been as quiet as that moment when you figure out you lost a bet. ut that didn’t stop the players, they kept warming up, waiting for the whistle to blow and the game to start, just to show who's the boss of the 72,000 something fans in attendance that night. When the loudspeaker rang across the rink and seats of marveled fans (that were now out of money thanks to the incredible amount that they paid for the ticket and foo), everybody rose for the national anthem of The United States of America. Afterwards, the referees were getting ready to blow the long anticipated whistle and drop the puck for the first time that game. As the sound rang, breathing got heavier, and the people got even more drunk. No matter who won though, in the end everybody went home happily.

Outdoor ice hockey in California.