Summer Days | Teen Ink

Summer Days

Strutting out to the first tee box, I grab my weapon of choice on a calm morning.  As the fog is starting to lift, I press my tee into the cold, damp ground.  Lining myself up to the Titleist golf ball, I pray the ball just makes it over the river inconveniently placed directly in front of hole one’s tee box.  I take a deep breath and swing to club as smooth as I can.  Ting!  Hearing the sound of a descent drive, I walk to my golf bag as if I had expected myself to place the ball in the fairway a ways out.  Next up is my good pal Nate.  With no stretching at all, he meanders up and strikes a perfect drive about five yards farther out than mine.  We joke the entire way up to our balls because it is a rare occurrence when we both are on the fairway, let alone on the first hole when the guys at the clubhouse are watching.  As we approach the resting places of our golf balls, we can hear all of the birds chirping, the lawnmowers cutting the grass, and the occasional yelling of an excited golfer.  Continuing with the rest of our round, we each go through spells of complete aggravation as the ball doesn’t always go to the places we had envisioned for it to go.  After the long mornings work of eighteen hard-fought holes, we stroll over to the clubhouse.  Picking our usual table by the window, we demolish the peanut butter and jellies my mom graciously made for us.  Heading outside wear the merciless heat resides, we jaunt onto the putting green.  Trying to complete the lag and par saver putting drills, we spend quite a bit of time on the green.  As some of the senior golfers walk by, they intrude on our drills as they warm up for the rounds they’re about to commence.  The day rolls along, and Nate and I start to get a sense of boredom.  Instead of finishing the drills, we invent some of our own games, which are usually never too productive.  Soon enough, we are putting the ball from ridiculous distances and earning some questioning glare from some of the other golfers sauntering by us.  We finish up the outrageous game we started and decide we better head home.  This is truly the best morning because I played one of the games I love for an extended period of time with one of my best friends; however, I will most likely be doing the same thing in sixteen hours.  The countdown is on for this time to come again.