SRV Championships | Teen Ink

SRV Championships

March 9, 2015
By Aggieman7701 BRONZE, Weiser, Idaho
Aggieman7701 BRONZE, Weiser, Idaho
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I awakened at exactly 7:30 to the alarm I had set. I walked upstairs and ate a huge breakfast for the long day ahead. It consisted of a huge omelet and a glass or two of milk. I went downstairs and put my track jersey and shorts on. I then grabbed my track sweater and sweat pants and went upstairs carrying my track spikes. I went to the door where my brothers bag was, and put in it, a lunch that I had made the night before, my spikes, my ipod with headphones, and my phone. On the way to the school I was totally silent as I tried not to think about my upcoming events. Every person gets the chance to compete in four events. At the beginning of the season I had been in the one hundred and two hundred meter dash, then the four by one relay. But midway through the season my coach had signed me up for the 400 meter. They also put me and three other boys in the four by four relay. We had been undefeated so far, and had even beat the eighth grade teams we were up against. The team was, in order, Paul, Juan, Braden, and then me as the anchor. As I kept thinking of the competition I was just getting closer and closer to the frightening thought of losing. I had butterflies in my stomach throughout the whole ride. Then my dad pulled into the middle school and dropped me off.
I walked over to the stairs in front of the gym and sat down by the few people that were there so far. They started showing up, and pretty soon we were mostly there, listening to music, or talking to each other and little groups. The bus showed up right on schedule and we loaded on. There was barely enough room for everyone in the seats, and some were sitting in the isle. I sat down next to Jacen Smith, who had saved me a seat. We started off on the drive to Parma and got there on time. We went through a series of warm-ups, and all went to our first event. The running event didn’t start till after  twelve o’clock, so I just sat under an awning someone brought and talked with friends. An hour later they started the high jump and a few of us walked over there to watch three guys from Weiser compete. After that was over I wandered around till there were 15 minutes until running events started. With a few other people we went through two very slow laps and started stretching. Then the other events started. In order they went 1600, 4 by 1, 100, 400, 4 by 2, 800, 200, then the 4 by 4. I watched the event go by really quickly and soon they were calling for one hundred runners. I got in line and was soon called up to the starting blocks. I got in position, then heard to starter gun go off. I bolted away as fast as possible, but was beat by two other guys. After that I went up and sat by my parents until they called the 400 only 10 minutes later. I walked down to get in position. I watched them go through 8th grade boys, then girls, and eventually called my group up.  I got in position in lane four which was nearly the one I wanted and got in position. The gun went off and I started. Two kids from Fruitland, and one kid from parma immediately sprinted into the lead. From my past few races I learned to pace them,and in the last hundred meters to sprint ahead. It had worked every time so far. We rounded the first corner. I was around 5 yards behind them throughout the straight stretch. At the second turn I picked up the pace and started to gain slowly on the lead guys. Then right at the straightaway I kicked it into high gear and sprinted past them. The last hundred meters were torture as I felt more and more  like I was going to collapse. Then I crossed the finish line as stumbled to a stop. As the other guys came in around me, we gave each other high fives, and got our cards with our places. I went and sat down by my parents in the stands for a few minutes, then went to where my friends were. As I walked around the crowd to arrive there people were congratulating me. When I came to the awning where everyone was, I laid down to prepare for my next four hundred meter dash.
All of a sudden the loudspeakers announced that the four by four relay would be in a few minutes. My team and I all got up and went into the middle of the track on the grass and stretched. So far the year we had been undefeated, but that did not subside the butterflies in my stomach. The Eighth grade boys and girls went by, the seventh grade girls went by faster. Then it was our turn. Our first runner, Paul, lined up, and they very soon the gun went off. He took off maintaining a steady pace throughout the race. He was in third place when he handed it to Jaun. He got us into second. But the guy in first was in the lead by a lot. Juan handed it to Braden. We could all see that he was gaining on the other kid very quickly, and by the end he was only ten yards behind him. He handed it to me, and I went off at a pace faster than normal. I was right behind him and on the last hundred meters I sprinted past him easily. As we got our places we sat on the stand awaited the announcement of who the winners were. The Weiser seventh grade girls won, and now it was our turn. Third place was parma, second Fruitland. At that point I knew we had won. I jumped down out of the stands with the other boys and celebrated and took pictures.  I went and said thank you to my coaches, and we loaded up in our car to head home. And the way home we stopped to get ice cream.