The Squirrel pt 2 | Teen Ink

The Squirrel pt 2

By Justin Kozlowski BRONZE, Grand Rapids, Michigan
Justin Kozlowski BRONZE, Grand Rapids, Michigan

As I step out of the cabin I hear the unmistakable sound of a squirrel. I look at the trees above and I look for the area from which the sound came from. I run over to the cabin to grab my case. I sprinted to the tree from which the sound of squirrel came from. I almost tripped on a root from a tree and almost twisted my ankle on the root.

I dropped down my gun case on the road and I got my gun out. I loaded my gun with the clip but I put the clip in backwards and had to turn it around.

“Hurry up,” my dad shouted.
“I am, I am,” I yelled back.
I jogged over to the tree where the squirrel was. All of the grown ups were pointing to a tall pine tree and yelling to us where the squirrel was.
This squirrel is going down , I thought.
“Hurry up Aiden and Jacob, we got a squirrel to kill”, I shouted.

They came over to where we were. Aiden had a shotgun and Jacob had a bb gun. Aiden is about 4’9” and is a little rounder than most kids. Jacob is about 5’ and is really fast. The first thing that Aiden did was shoot at the area from which the grown up’s thought the squirrel was. There was loud BANG when he shoot.
“What the heck were you shooting at”, Aiden’s dad yelled at him.
“I was shooting at the squirrel”, he weakly said back.

I am gonna shoot this ghetto squirrel, I thought. My dad pointed to where the squirrel was. The squirrel was high up in a pine tree and I could barely see him. After that I went all kamikaze on the squirrel. BOOM! BANG! BOOM! BANG! That was all I heard for a span of 2 minutes.
Geez is this squirrel ever gonna die, I thought.

I was out of ammo and had to reload. I quickly put in 5 bullets but it felt like forever. Then I looked through the end of my scope and I saw the squirrel. The squirrel was running around branch to branch. He finally stopped on a branch and it felt like he ran around forever. I put my crosshairs on him and I pulled the trigger. Bang! I kinda fell back a little bit because of the kick that the gun makes when it is fired.

When I looked at the squirrel he wasn’t dead but he dropped his nut. I went to pick the nut up and of course there was a hole through it.

“Come on willis”, I yelled out loud because I missed the squirrel.
“It’s ok Justin”, my dad said to me.

No it’s not, I thought. The squirrel ran up the tree while I reloaded again. I shot a couple of times at him while ran across the forest floor. Aiden shot his shotgun a couple times and hit the squirrel’s tail we think. Jacob could only hit the tree and didn’t even come close.

“You can do it!” the grown ups said to us.

I am a gonna shoot this dang squirrel, I thought. The squirrel ran down the tree to a lower branch. I shot at him and so did Aiden and Jacob. We all missed the squirrel.
“Hey there he goes”, I yelled.

The next thing I hear was a bang! The squirrel was still alive and was running toward a stump. I looked through my scope and saw the squirrel. I pulled the trigger. BANG! I looked around and saw the squirrel run in to the stump. I was so mad. I told my dad what had happen and he said I would kill a squirrel next year.
I had a really fun time hunting squirrels. It is something I will never forget in my life. My friends had fun trying to shoot squirrels. Next year I hope I kill a squirrel. Next year the squirrel that dropped the acorn on my head and the same squirrel that I missed this year, will be dead next year. So, until then the squirrel is alive and I will come after him next year.  I learned that is handy to have another clip ready for my gun when needed, like for a squirrel that randomly appears and disappears. I also learned it is fun to hunt squirrels whenever you can.