Clay Buchholz | Teen Ink

Clay Buchholz

By K3V1N55 BRONZE, Milford, Massachusetts
K3V1N55 BRONZE, Milford, Massachusetts

Who is the only pitcher in Red Sox history to throw a no hitter in his rookie season? Clay Buchholz. It was only his second career Major League start when he pitched his no hitter. However, despite Buchholz's size and lots of bumps in the road during his career but he was able to learn from them and become a better player and person.

Clay Buchholz was born August 14, 1984 in Lumberton, Texas and was a very boney, skinny kid. Buchholz played baseball for the local youth baseball leagues, and then for his high school team the Lumberton Raiders where he was a standout player.

After High School, Buchholz attended McNeese State University in 2004. However, he was not there for long after he was dismissed from the McNeese baseball team for stealing 29 laptops from a middle school and selling them on the Campus. The next year he transferred to Angelina College in Lufkin, Texas. During Clays 2005 season , he appeared in 15 games, winning 12 and losing 1. He finished with a 1.05 ERA, 7 complete games, and 129 strikeouts all stand as team records which are all team records. He was also named an All-American in 2005.
After his sophomore season Buchholz was drafted by the Red Sox in the first round of the supplemental draft. He pitched 41 1⁄3 innings for the Lowell Spinners the single A farm team associated with the Red Sox, where he had a record of 0–1 with 45 strikeouts in 15 starts. In 2007 Buchholz started his first MLB game during spring training against the Tampa Bay Rays. He pitched 4 2⁄3 innings, gave up seven hits and three runs, and had  three strikeouts. While competing for the Portland Sea Dogs the AA team associated with the Red Sox,  Buchholz played in 15 games, with a 7-2 record which led him to be chosen to play in the All-Star Futures Game. Clay was promoted to the Pawtucket Red Sox, the AAA team associated with the Red Sox later that season. He finished the Triple-A season with a 1–1 record, while recording 55 strikeouts, 13 walks, and a 3.96 era over eight starts in 38 2⁄3 innings. Buchholz made his Major League debut with the Boston Red Sox against the Los Angeles Angels on August 17, 2007 at Fenway Park. The Sox won the game 8–4 and he got his first Major League win, going six innings and giving up four runs. However after the game he was sent back down to Pawtucket. Later that year he was called up against the Baltimore Orioles and threw a no-hitter. After the game Red Sox manager  Terry Francona said "This kid can come up and pitch a no-hitter he will be staying here for sometime". He secured a spot on the team after that performance.

Buchholz has overcome his size and problems off the field and has had a lot of major league success with a career record of 66-44 with 600 strikeouts. His most successful stat year was in 2010 when he was awarded an All-Star selection as well as led the league in ERA. However, his most memorable achievement for sure was winning the World Series in 2013. He and the Red Sox will look to bounce back all together after a lot of free agent signings after posting the worst record in the AL East in the 2014 season.