Mountain Biking | Teen Ink

Mountain Biking

Mountain biking is a very fun and exciting hobby that most people could come to enjoy. I began mountain biking two summers ago at Mammoth Mountain and I’ve loved it ever since.

For me, mountain biking was pretty scary at the beginning, I always felt like I was going to fall and get hurt. It turns out you can fall and get hurt and that really sucks. But mountain biking is still extremely fun, you get to go really fast down dirt slopes, go on berms, and jumps! Mountain biking is some of the most fun a person could have. Some downsides to mountain biking are that you have to purchase all of the equipment. A bike can cost anywhere in between 800 and 8,000 dollars. Depending on the type of riding you’re planning on doing, you could spend another 2,500 dollars on protection equipment. Helmets, pads, riding clothes, and shoes are all super important.

There are multiple places to ride in California. There are a wide variety of bike parks such as Mammoth and Snow Summit. Mammoth is probably the most popular bike park in California, they have so many trials that you cant go on all of them in one day. Snow Summit is probably the second best bike park in California; their trails are more suited to experienced riders who really know what they’re doing. Mammoth just recently purchased all of Snow Summit, so hopefully this will make it a better bike park. I have been to both bike parks and although they were both very fun and exciting, I liked Mammoth much more. They offer more trails and it gives you more of a variety of trails to choose from.

Mountain biking is one of my most favorite things to do!