The Round Miracle | Teen Ink

The Round Miracle

By Aleen Kadoian BRONZE, Glendale, California
Aleen Kadoian BRONZE, Glendale, California

How do you feel about basketball? Do you like the game? Well to me basketball isn't only a game; it's a passion, a part of your life. For example Michael Jordan, he's a basketball legend. Basketball for him is his entire life. He practiced every day and night and he wouldn’t give up.

Basketball teaches you so many things, not only about the sport but about life itself. It's a team sport so it teaches you teamwork, sportsmanship. It also teaches you to have patience, work hard, and to be dedicated.  You’re not going to start winning games within the first couple of tries. You have to fall a couple times. Just like in life.

Picture one basketball game as some big event going on in your life. For example, starting high school.  The referees are the teachers judging you. The ball is your grades and net is your goal in life.  See in the beginning you’re nervous. Then when the game starts you start to get a little comfortable, and it seems exciting. Then it just collapses. You’re losing by 20, you’re failing two classes. You just want to give up and walk out. But you can’t, you’re coach and your teammates are counting on you, just like your “family” is counting on you. So you keep pushing, you can’t breathe, you don’t feel good, but you keep pushing. You keep trying to finish the game, not caring if you win or lose because you’re failing that bad.  But that’s wrong, I do care if I win or lose in a basketball game because I chose to be there

You should have a connection in your team.  A strong connection. If you have a team that hates each other then you won't do well. It’s a team game. It sounds stupid but it makes a huge difference. You will do better if you have a connection in your team. The most important thing for me in any sport is teamwork.

A line from the movie Coach Carter, “You said we were a team. One person struggles we all struggle. One person triumphs we all triumphs.” 

I've been playing basketball since 4th grade. I'm not the best, but I have passion for the sport and I love playing it. I wasn't good in the beginning but I did everything that the coach told me to do because I was dedicated to the game and I still am. I practiced 3 or 4 days a week and I got much better. And I’m very proud of myself.