Sports Rosters: The key to a team | Teen Ink

Sports Rosters: The key to a team

By Alicia Theodorakopoulos BRONZE, Groveland, Massachusetts
Alicia Theodorakopoulos BRONZE, Groveland, Massachusetts

Sports are a large part of our culture and our social lives. Sports can connect people, even people from across the world. With every sport comes a roster. A roster shows an individual’s abilities along with the team’s abilities as a whole. Rosters are built into a simple format making them easy to read. The simplicity of rosters creates a universal use for all different kinds of readers. All different types of people read sports rosters, and all types of people can create them. The key factor leading to these different readers and writers of the genre is its structure and universal ability.

You often find sport rosters online now a day. Sometimes they may be printed out and handed out at sports games. They can be shown on TV at times too, on sports channels. They will often be found amongst game schedules, sports reports, and standings.  Sports genres are seen in table formatting. They interact with visual genres such as sports programming and networks like ESPN. They also interact with game like situations in fantasy leagues, in which people create fantasy sports rosters and win points for the players they have that do well in the real life season.  Sports rosters appear on sports league websites, team websites, and even fan websites.
Sports rosters are always created for a list of players. They can be found from little leagues to pro leagues of all sports. There is a range in what appears in sports rosters, but it is always basic information about a given player. The roster will list players for a given team and information for each individual. They list the players’ names, game numbers, and some added information. This additional information often includes stats like age, weight, height, position, hometown, and statistics related to the player’s performance in the game. A person’s interaction with a sports roster is often a quick one with the means to obtain information.
All kinds of people can create a sports roster. In the little league days, it is often a proud mom creating the roster. In the area of professional sports, the leagues release the rosters such as the NHL. It takes a bit of collaboration to create a roster in either ends of seriousness. The information about the players takes multiple sources to be obtained. In the case of the proud mom, she must obtain information from fellow parents. In the professional world the statistics seen in a roster must be confirmed by multiple people, and the roster must go through the website editors before being published. Usually the author is not noted for a sports roster, and the reader usually is unaware of who created it. Readers are usually unconcerned with who wrote the sports roster, so information about the authors is not generally expressed. A writer of a sports roster needs to be able to effectively collect data and display it in a simple and organized matter. The process first includes research and note taking, then organizing of the information into a table on a computer.
The readers of sports rosters are people who have an interest in sports and want to obtain some basic information about a team and its players. This is obviously a very broad spectrum of readers, but the simplicity of sports rosters allows for this. A parent at his or her child’s game may read a roster to see who number two is that just made that great catch. It could be a scouter at a college game reading a roster to scout out new recruits. A Bruins fan may pull up the roster online to learn more statistics about his or her favorite team. The variations of readers share one thing in common: they have an interest in the team and its players of which the roster they are reading.
  Organization and simplicity are highly important in a good sports roster. Since the main goal of a sports roster is to provide the reader with information easily, the structure is very important. The facts given on rosters are concise and neatly fitted into a table. The goal of the roster is get right to the point, no added fluff. The title is always informative stating the team name and sometimes the league and year. There is very little detail in the text. The players are listed with their corresponding statistics next to their names. The statistics are often one worded or mere fragments to get right to the point, so there is very little punctuation. The voices of sports rosters are strictly informative to stick with the straightforward atmosphere. Organization is a huge factor, so the rosters are neat, easy to read tables. Repetition is always apparent, with the same statistic listed for each player of the team. Logos is also apparent in sports rosters, testimony logos to be specific. The rosters provide evidence of research and are very factual.
When I went to write my creative component, my parody sports roster, for the writing exercise, I started by looking at examples of sports rosters. So come time to start my analysis, I had already begun the research process. This helped me, because I already knew what I needed to focus on and analyze more. Having already created a parody roster, I knew what made up the genre. During the analysis I expanded on these factors with a more in depth look. After doing so, I was able to go back to my creative component better able to recreate the genre. In navigating genres Kerry Dirk tells us how genres shows us how others have gone about writing something making our writing a bit easier. In the case of creating my creative piece, this rang especially true.
Sports are a large part of culture not only in America but  across the world. Sports are something that can connect people, whether it is through high school friends playing on a team together or a couple going to see their favorite team play. Many of us find ourselves involved in sports one way or another. This could be by being a huge fan and always keeping up through the media or by simply supporting a sibling who plays a sport. With a sports team, always comes a sports roster. Rosters speak about a team’s ability, because you are only as strong as your weakest player. Though they are simple, they are widely used. The simplicity and organization of the genre provide all types of readers with the facts they were searching for.