The Game | Teen Ink

The Game

By Shanerbater BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
Shanerbater BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

As I heard the creaking of the old rusted brown car door open, I could feel how cold it was, like hundreds if not thousands, of ice bullets were hitting my body. I slammed the truck door closed and some of the rust spots flung into my face. As I walked past the field, I could barely see the team that we were facing because of the frozen foggy air that came in front of me. It made it almost impossible for me to see my way to the changing room, but I could see the dim light that was connected to the side of the changing room. With every step closer to the changing room it got harder to breathe.  When I got in there I was pretty much suffocating on the three month old gym socks and the sweaty t-shirts.  My friends they are the worst because they don't use deodorant, so when they sweat they smell unbearably dreadful.

As I got changed in the locker room, I could feel my body getting a little warmer.  I put on my heat pads and then I was ready for the game.  I saw family, friends, and my girlfriend, Taylor, on the bleachers when warming up.   After all, our game was a high school game so, of course, there were a lot of people.  On the field, I picked up a ball and gave it to the snapper.  Then I got the quarterback and we started running routes and doing plays.  It hurt a lot when you caught the ball because it was so cold and your hands were freezing, so when our quarterback threw bullets it hurt a lot.

After a few plays it was time for the game, so they turned on all the lights, the speakers and scoreboard.  The time was set for 14 minutes.  Our captains walk to the 50 yard line and the referee gets it started by flipping a coin a coin.  When the coin is in the air we called heads, but it landed on tails so we were kicking off. 
We went back by our team and yelled out, ‘We need the kick off, team!  Bring the block or the kicking tee with you when you guys get onto the field!”  The block was placed on the 40 yard line and my job is smear the guy with the ball.  The ball was kicked and it was a high and far one all the way to the five.  The returner catches the ball and started sprinting down the field.  I was running so fast that I almost ran right past him but I did a 180 dive.  I grabbed his leg and he was brought down at the 25 yard line.
Now at the middle linebacker position the coach signaled to the line the play Georgia 2.  So that means that I was going through the A gap.  The line is in position.  Everybody was in their positions correctly, so we were good.  The ball was hiked and I ran trying to get as low as possible so that I could fit through.  I did.  I fit through and I nailed the quarterback for a sack.  The ball was now on the 19 yard line now 16  yards from a first down,  The players are down in their stance.

“Hike!” The halfback runs up the middle and the lineman hits him so hard that the halfback fumbles it.  I dove on it and tucked it into me and, then my team piled on top of me so the ball was safe.  The crowd roars with happiness.  The defense got off the field and the offense got on. 
My coach yelled my name and I respond, “What?”

The coach says, “Get over here!”.  So I go by him and he talked to me.  He was so happy he said, “Two plays, that’s all we needed!  Good job!”  I then got some water and sat on the bench and took a breather.
My girlfriend, Taylor, comes over to talk to me and she asks, “Will you do your best??  And I said sure and she gave me a good luck kiss before I was called onto the field to play the halfback position in two more plays.
While sitting on the bench, I made use of my time and studied my plays.  That was pretty easy because I already know all of my plays.  Then the coach tells me to go in at the 35 with a third down and 5 to go.  I get into position, the coach yells green 13, it’s a halfback sweep.  I give the quarterback a thumbs up and he gives me one back.

“Hike!” the quarterback hands it off to me.  I run going past everyone and no one can catch me.  Already I’m past the first down.  I sprint for the touchdown….10 yards….5 yards….!  I’m in….the crowd goes wild!  Then getting in to extra point formation he kicks it and it is good.  The kickoff team is back out and we are on the 40 yard line.  The kicker kicks a squib right and then I race for it breaking lots of tackles.  Then I drill the guy with the ball and he is down at the 14.  Kick off leaves the field and the defense enters on to the field.

While I was out I got all of these compliments on how good I am.  I heard from family, friends and people I don’t even know and people I don’t really even talk to and people that hate me because I am cooler than them.  Then the defense lines up and the ball was hiked and it is a quarterback sneak and the quarterback gets the first down.
“It’s all right!”, the coach said well pissed off.  I have seen him when he is pissed off.  Then they get another first down no the coach is ticked, like very pissed.  He was slamming things and kicking things and throwing a hissy fit making him look like an idiot, so he sent me in at the middle linebacker.

Then the coach yelled out the play Georgia six.  We get ready, the ball was snapped I ran around the offensive line, but the ball was already thrown and it was a reception then the receiver goes and picks up momentum and nobody caught him and they scored a touchdown.  The crowd boos and we then line up in the special teams formation and I sprinted and I block the extra point.  The coach yells out kick return.  I am the receiver for kick return.  The ball was kicked and I caught it and then I was brought down at the other teams 20.

Then the team and I walked to the locker room and we sat down and we talk about the good things and the bad things that have happened in the game.  There weren’t many bad things to talk about so that was good, but they still scored a touchdown, that was bad.  Then we started talking to each other when the coach left and when we talk, we talk as a team.  We never disclude someone from the conversation or anything because we are a team and we are just like family.  The coach loves that.  Then we do our chant and we enter on to the field for the second half of the game, but we still get 30 minutes to warm up before the second half.

When we warm up for the second half of the game everybody is so serious and they do not fool around especially if we are losing or if we are tied so it is better warm ups because you don’t have one group of people talking, another acting like idiots and another doing the right thing and another doing the exact opposite of what we are supposed to do.  During this warm up we are all very fired up and everybody is playing like NFL players.  They’re amazing!!
Then they all start screaming; we can’t be tamed.  We can’t be stopped.  You try you die ten times.  I have never seen them be this focused ever since last year in 10th grade.  Still they were not this into it, but I love the change I want to see the person that got them this motivated so I go over to coach and I ask him are they doing amazing or what? Just look the line is blocking perfectly, the quarterback is throwing amazing passes and the running backs and the halfbacks and the receivers are using all of the skills that I have shown them.  Are you the one who got them this fired up and if you aren’t, then who is?