First Football Season | Teen Ink

First Football Season

October 20, 2014
By Anonymous

Everyone enjoys to play or watch a sport, whether its ice hockey, basketball, and etc. For me, It was football, even though I always watched it for as long as I remember, watching the big hits and seeing amazing scoring drives. But, I had never played it until I was a freshman in high school. I was 14 years Old. To be honest, I never saw myself playing football, but one day one of my friends, who I still play football with to this day, said I should try it out. Little did I know, this would be not only a sport but a character builder that teaches life lessons.
The summer before school even began, I was in 8th grade, in the high school weight room being taught forms for different lifts. After that point, instead of eating chips or sitting at home playing video games, I spent 2 hours at practice daily and came home tired after biking back. Once August came along and we were in the season, we started making sure our fundamentals were sound by practicing for 4 hours daily in helmets and after a week or two full pads.
It was a Thursday, the first real day we were getting into full pads. I stepped into my pads and felt great as if I belonged in them. The weather outside was like any other August, hot. Before even warm ups I was sweating bullets and throughout the running of plays and drills the sweat continued to roll down my face. But, I didn’t care, I was having fun being out there with 40 other kids hitting and practicing plays. Pretty soon coach called out “Oklahoma”.  I didn’t know what that meant but a few other kids did and started getting all pumped and excited.  In a few minutes time I saw what it was, when two players line up 5 yards apart, one ball carrier and one tackler and they hit so that the defensive player gets a tackle. I was wide eyed, like a kindergartner trying to comprehend calculus at how to tackle someone.  Soon, my number was called; I strolled up to the line and awaited the whistle it seemed like an eternity, the sun beating down like a roaring flame. The whistle blew and I ran towards my opponent. In the next seconds the shoulder pads cracked like thunder, I hit the ground with a monstrous thud. I see that I got cracked, pancaked, destroyed, whatever you want to call it. I could have just called it quits right there saying I wasn’t meant for this sport, that I wasn’t going to become better. But instead I did what I did through all the running, sprints, and hot afternoons of practice. I got back up, and gave it my all to become better and persevere through practices.
As the Season went on, we went 0-6 the first 6 games of my freshman season, yet no matter how grim it seemed we never gave up as a team that we were going to lose the game. We fought to the very last minute when the referee blew the final whistle, and we were all exhauster beyond belief. However during the 7th week of the season, the atmosphere was different, we were all pumped going into our game, even though the other team was 6-0 at that point, we knew we had it. I played my heart out that day and the first half was excellent as we were up by 20 points. During halftime our coach was exhilarated as if someone flipped a switch; he saw we could win this one. During the next half, they seemed to make a comeback, our lead shrunk drastically until finally they were only up by one field goal. It was the final kick return. The world seemed to stop for a second before the whistle blew. I saw the ball get kicked with a huge thud and ran to block the man coming towards me. Those seconds that the return was going on seemed like hours. The alarm buzzed as time was out during that play. If we did not score on that play we would win. Yet, all the drills paid off, the blocks were perfect and we returned the ball for a touchdown. The only thing I remember is pure excitement.  From that point on the freshman team won our last three games. The never giving up and perseverance paid off. After that season of long practices, a losing streak, and a winning streak I learned that no matter what happened, I would not give up. I would fight through trying to become better with each passing day. And that kind of endurance and strength is what I apply to my life today. I still play football and this is my 3rd year, I don’t just play it because it is fun. I also play it for what it teaches you and how one can become a better person from it.


The author's comments:

My First Football Season was what inspired me. I want people to get inspired never to give up.