Regionals Track | Teen Ink

Regionals Track

October 9, 2014
By Djhartline BRONZE, Leroy, Michigan
Djhartline BRONZE, Leroy, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments


It was the spring of 2014; my sophomore year of track. The season was winding in on our last meet; Regionals. Hard work and dedication are what got me there, and they would be put to the test. I was running my events: the one mile, two mile and the 4x400 meter. This was the meet that would take you to state if you qualified. My goal was to not just go to state, but to run in the top ten and get a time under five minutes for the one mile; which is a very good time compared to my previous time a 5:06
As the race neared I grew more anxious, my adrenaline rushed through my body. This was the time to accomplish my goals.
“Final Call 1600 meter run!” The announcer had called.
This is it; I thought to myself. I jogged over to the check in box and checked myself in for the race. The minutes passed and I was going to run all the runners came to the start. The official said two short commands, and the gun went off with a burst of action. 
First lap, Second lap; the race was already half way over. The thought of getting my goals I pushed my legs faster and pumped my arms harder. I rounded the third lap with a 3:50; I was slow I needed to pick up the pace. The last lap was here and I pushed harder than any other lap. I rounded the last corner with a hard sprint; passing people left and right.100 meters left and it would be all over, I looked over to my coach as I crossed the finish line. He yelled “4:56!”
“I got it!” I thought to myself “I did it!”
It was the end of the season for me as I did not qualify for state but I did accomplish one goal. I ran my personal best and ran the hardest I have ever had before. Just because I didn't make it to state didn’t mean I wasn't happy; I did achieve the other goals I had set and it just makes me that much more excited to achieve the others. This shows me that I will have to put in more hard work for the next coming season. Next year I will achieve my goal to go to state.


The author's comments:

In this I accomplished my goals thanks to hardwork and dedication.