the day i learned | Teen Ink

the day i learned

By capnCLEV BRONZE, Weedsport, New York
capnCLEV BRONZE, Weedsport, New York

"Ball is Life" - unknown

One time I learned from something in my life is when I was in sixth grade. So there I was, on the court, we were down by about three points. I had the ball on a fast break, I was being cocky and thinking to myself that I could make the three pointer. Instead of passing it to anyone else on my team because I thought that that I was better than them. Well, as most of the time, I was wrong. I went to go shoot the three-pointer to try and go into over time. I missed the shot, completely. At the end of the game I felt awful because I missed the shot. After the game my teammates yelled at me because there was literally a million other things I could have done to help us win the game. The coach also got mad at me and put me out the next game.

After the game when I got home I called my coach and my teammates and apologized for making such a stupid choice and preventing us to get into the semi-finals. The coach forgave me, my teammates on the other hand, not so much. My teammates, my friends, I thought at the time called me a loser, stupid. I can still hear them today “Nick, why are you so stupid”, “Nick, you’re such a loser, I hope you get kicked off the team.” At that moment I realized, people who you think are your ‘friends’ might be your actual friends or might not be, like in my case they weren’t. I mean sure friends get in fights over things and might not talk to each other but to not talk to them ever again, even when they try to start a conversation and they don’t say anything. I mean come on, that’s kind of ridiculous. I’ve learned my lesson though, I have made many new friends along the way though. Many real friends that actually accept me for who I am, and sure we get in fights sometimes, but we forgive each other within a day because we are close.

I have learned many thing from this experience, one of them being that you’re better off doing the right thing than doing the thing that you think will make you look cool. If we won that game, I would have been bragging, so in a way I’m kind of glad we lost that game. I have also learned many more things from this, another one being that if you have a chance you should take it, that is if it is a good choice, unlike mine choice which was rather idiotic. Sometimes I still think back to that very day and regret what I did but at the same time, I am glad at what I did because it has taught me many life lessons along the way. Now every time I play basketball or see those ‘friends’ off mine I always think back to that day and remember.