Lacrosse: The Hottest Sport in America | Teen Ink

Lacrosse: The Hottest Sport in America

June 1, 2014
By Cjiba BRONZE, Madison, Connecticut
Cjiba BRONZE, Madison, Connecticut
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Lacrosse: The Hottest Sport in America



Are you sick of playing right field, waiting for an entire nine innings for a ball to be hit to you? Are you tired of the track team, running in circles around a hot oval for hours at a time? Well then, it is time for you to pick up the game of lacrosse. It is a sport of endless motion, with hard shots, rough hits and most importantly constant creativity. In addition, lacrosse has a rich history and is growing fast in all regions of the United States, so there is most likely a team in your neighborhood looking for someone just like you.
It all began as a form of recreation and training for the Indians of the St. Lawrence valley. Before the Europeans arrived, lacrosse was known as stickball and was basically a training ground for war. Also, many of the Indians believe that lacrosse is the Creator’s game. This means that God invented and placed the game on earth for his entertainment. Over time, the sport spread to other tribes and evolved into a game with more formal and consistent rules. Included in the evolution were standards for team size, field size, equipment and rules. The final result is the game of lacrosse we know today, although it is still changing a little every year.

After a fifty year stall in the evolution and popularity of lacrosse, it has hit its stride and is officially the fastest growing sport in the United States. Lacrosse participation is growing every year because it is supported by leagues from kindergarten through adult, it is an action packed game, and organized clubs have sophisticated programs that start coaching kids at an early age. In the last five years lacrosse participation has increased by sixty two percent at the youth level. As a result of this incredible growth, colleges are reacting by adding more programs. Just last year, sixty new varsity programs were added to the NCAA (US Lacrosse). It is such a great feeling to be a part of a growing sports movement, and the opportunities are endless.

Furthermore, one primary reason for this increase in interest is the speed of the game compared to other spring sports like baseball. Young kids see older boys running hard and passing back and forth, instead of waiting in the outfield of a little league game for a ball that may never arrive. Therefore, many kids are starting to realize that they don’t want to waste their warm weather months getting sunburned, waiting for their turn in line. They would rather be “ripping twine,” or burning up the corners of the goal. Additionally, the fast paced action on the lacrosse field is very exhilarating and the connection between players is so crucial that team mates become fast friends.
Today after many years of struggle young Indians are finally taking their talents to the next level. For instance, the Thompson trio of the University of Albany led the NCAA in offense this year. These two brothers and one cousin created never seen before plays that caught defenses off guard. Many believe that the reason this was possible was because of their deep understanding of the game and their heritage. Overall, the Indians are key leaders in continuing the tradition of lacrosse and young Indian athletes will certainly be making more appearances on the national stage.

Finally, with all the increase in players and teams, the future of the sport is very bright. Since lacrosse is based on a great history and a unique blend of skill, speed, contact and strategy, perhaps we will see the sport at the Olympics in the next twenty years.