World Cup Commotion | Teen Ink

World Cup Commotion

By Trisha Maniar BRONZE, New Hyde Park, New York
Trisha Maniar BRONZE, New Hyde Park, New York

While the entire world is cheering for their favorite soccer teams on the field, who is worrying about what happens off the field? As the Brazilian government spends billions on beautifying stadiums all over Brazil, citizens are struggling to make ends meet. It amazes me that FIFA and the Brazilian government have the time, money and energy to spend on every last aspect of the soccer stadiums, but cannot make any remarks to the cries and pleas of the Brazilian citizens. As a 16 year old girl living in the United States, I never thought attending school was a privilege. After seeing the protests in the street and the children pleading for money just to go to school, however, I realized that even the basic infrastructure in Brazil isn’t strong. Citizens are unhappy, children aren’t going to school, and people are rebelling against their own nation; whose job is it to make this stop? If the Brazilian government isn’t going to take the first step to coalesce with its people, who will? If these protests are spreading around the country, from São Paulo to Belo Horizonte to Porto Alegre, change is needed. Protestors are enraged, exasperated and dissatisfied. Unless their concerns are listened to, unless their voices are heard, unless someone is willing to help them, things will only get worse. These problems are no longer “in-house,” as these protests are now broadcasted in newspapers and social media worldwide. Just outside the protected doors of the World Cup stadiums, citizens are living in poverty. As part of the international community, it is our job to help citizens that are struggling. Even if I’m just one person and this is just one article, one more voice speaking out is one more voice that cares.