Swimming | Teen Ink

Swimming

By Ryan Armes BRONZE, Coronado, California
Ryan Armes BRONZE, Coronado, California

Why put your head down and stare at a black line for three hours? Some say dedication, while others just simply don’t know. For me, I have no idea why I swim, the satisfaction of getting a PR, the feeling after a great swim, or the thrill you get when the buzzer beeps. Leaning over that starting block, blood pumping as you use every muscle trying to get as far into the air as you can. Those cold rainy days where you watch the rain pierce the water as you float in silence only to be pulled out and told to due push ups because you didn’t swim fast enough. Then you are expected to swim faster after than you were before the push ups. Kicking as hard as you can before you come up for that first stroke, at that moment, all your thinking about is how much it hurts and why you ever started this sport. I started swimming when I was three for basic skills, I soon feel in love with it and kept on swimming. Every day, two times a day, back and forth, an endless cycle of flip turns and strokes. Praying it would just end and you could go home only to return at five the next morning and repeat the cycle. This sport has always come natural to me, I never really had to try hard to be good. This year, I am trying as hard as I ever have and I cant wait to see how the results pan out. I love swimming, I have no idea why, but its that has always been a part of my life and always will.

I have been swimming for many years and love this sport! I hope this piece will make people start swimming and feel the joy for it that I do.